User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 18:06:56
Print Post

Re: Insanely High Ping & Suspected Stuck bRAS Profile

[re: andyboygsi] [link to this post]

Wonderful, thanks so much for your help Andy & Robert! It really is appreciated. It's wonderful when the internet's used for its original purpose!

I hope you both have a lovely weekend, or what's left of it.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Jan-11 19:13:57
Print Post

[re: ClubLife] [link to this post]

>>So all I need to do is work from the master -> lounge -> bedroom, ensuring the same cable is in each T2 & T5, removing the bell wire in T3 on all of them and it's sorted?

The crucial thing is to move the white/blue to terminal 5 and leave the blue/white on terminal 2. The circuit is 'split' and just removing the bellwire on 3 won't help much.

Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Sun 09-Jan-11 20:58:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by ClubLife:
Wonderful, thanks so much for your help Andy & Robert! It really is appreciated. It's wonderful when the internet's used for its original purpose!

I hope you both have a lovely weekend, or what's left of it.

no problem.

further to your last question regarding why it is better to use a pair.....

this is because in a situation where you do have external sources of interference, the pairs are twisted so that if a source of interference is present, both sides of the pair in theory should absorb equal amounts of interference. devices on both ends have the ability to cancel out interference which is equal on both sides.

example. the a and b legs both induce 50db of noise, the equipment cancels this out so that it becomes zero.

but if the a leg has 50db and the b 65db there will be a remainder of 15...thus causing problems.

i would always remove the bell wire, there is a current thread on the site where a chap gained half a meg and also wiped out masses of downstream errors by simply disconnecting terminal 3 at all points.

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Sun 09-Jan-11 21:27:53
Print Post

Thanks for that explination Andy, makes perfect sense! I've learnt so much from all of this and am quite enjoying it all laugh

I've moved all of the white w/ blue stripes to T5 on all of the sockets now, and removed the bell wire from them all too.

I'm going to leave the router plugged in via a filter into the test socket for the full 5 days now to see if the IP profile will shift or not. If not, then I'll post back here looking for assistance. I'll also message one of the BT staff in the other thread on here to get interleaving switched off and see if that'll force anything to change at the exchange.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jan-11 07:19:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by andyboygsi:
i would always remove the bell wire, there is a current thread on the site where a chap gained half a meg and also wiped out masses of downstream errors by simply disconnecting terminal 3 at all points.
I have seen many over 1.5Mbps on ADSL Max, a few over 2Mbps, and at least one of 2.5Mbps, over the last three or four years smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Mon 10-Jan-11 20:03:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

even better then

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Jan-11 20:51:58
Print Post

Yep. I was amazed at the 2Mbps+ ones, but the gratitude from the users was warming smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 15:51:57
Print Post

Great news! The IP Profile has shifted and is now on 6500 laughlaugh
According to the router stats it's only taken just under 3 days
DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 2 days, 21:33:52
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 421.82 / 1.85
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.0 / 29.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7,150
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 46
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 43
Line Profile: Interleaved

The SNR seems to have creeped up a little though, and when monitoring it every night it goes up to 7-7.5 and I have seen it at 8. Which is a little strange as there's nothing new in the house, no roadworks going on nearby etc. It used to stay steady at 6.0 day and night.

Whilst the profile has increased in line with the sync speed, I'm a little disappointed because the ping speeds which were fantastic, have begun rising again and packet loss is being experienced quite regularly too frown Although it's nowhere near as high as it was, it's still a darn sight higher than the ~27ms is had gone down to:
Pinging google.co.uk [173.194.37.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 173.194.37.104: bytes=32 time=128ms TTL=52
Reply from 173.194.37.104: bytes=32 time=117ms TTL=52
Reply from 173.194.37.104: bytes=32 time=122ms TTL=52
Reply from 173.194.37.104: bytes=32 time=136ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 173.194.37.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 117ms, Maximum = 136ms, Average = 125ms

What could explain this? The router is pretty ancient, we've had it for about 6 years. I do have a home hub 2.0 which I haven't tried, but was planning to hook up after sorting everything else out. I've read mixed reviews about the 2.0 causing more problems though so I'm in two minds whether to bother or not?

Interleaving is still turned on btw, which I understand does increase latency slightly, but I don't think explains the sudden rise in latency from a low steady ~26-27ms. And it's all still plugged into the test socket via a filter. Could it help if I changed the filter possibly?

Edited by ClubLife (Tue 11-Jan-11 15:58:19)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Jan-11 18:05:16
Print Post

I don't know about swapping from HH1 to HH2 sorry.

Got to go out now. I was wondering whether the interleaving depth has increased during the during the profile confusion, but without knowing what is was before then reading it now probably won't help. That would increase the latency.

I don't know off-hand how to get it from the HH anyway. Maybe someone else does.

Are you saying the noise margin increases at night?

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 11-Jan-11 18:05:56)

Standard User ClubLife
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 19:21:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I was wondering whether the interleaving depth has increased during the during the profile confusion, but without knowing what is was before then reading it now probably won't help. That would increase the latency.

I don't know off-hand how to get it from the HH anyway. Maybe someone else does.

Are you saying the noise margin increases at night?

I'm not sure what the interleaving depth is, or how to obtain that so I would definately need instructions from someone. I'll have a look on google after dinner though.

The noise margin seems to fluctuate throughout the day and night now (I know this is normal for it to change as the sun sets/rises etc), but it used to stick solid on 6.0 regardless of what time of day I checked it, and I used to check it regularly enough to notice.

It seems to settle at a minimum of 6.0, and rise to a maximum of 8.0. It doesn't appear to be at a certain time of day or night when it peaks or troughs. Right now it's 6.5, earlier just after posting it went up to 7.5 which is what's confusing me.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to