User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nevans
(member) Thu 13-Jan-11 10:53:29
Print Post

HH2 and media streaming (or not!)

[link to this post]

I spent the whole day yesterday trying to work out why my XBox360, and my TV, couldn't see the PC acting as a media streaming server on my home network. On searching the web, several people had commented that Microsoft only support certain routers, and the HH2 wasn't one of them. It was time to dust off my old Pinnacle Showcentre, as this usually finds any streaming device. Low and behold, no servers were discovered. That was until I turned on my laptop, which it immediately found, but the Xbox, or TV, still could not see. The common factor between the laptop and the Showcentre, was that they were both wirelessly attached, whereas the Xbox, and the television, are copper. I then replaced the HH2 with an old Belkin router and, low and behold, all devices could be seen on the network! I think that the HH2 may be blocking Multicast traffic, as i believe that DNLA devices use this for discovery.

So, the HH2 (B variant), which the TV BT adverts claimed would be the 'media centre for the home', does not allow Ethernet attached devices to stream media.......How does that work?

P.S. I have temporarily got around this problem by inserting a switch between the clients and the HH2; hardly a solution, but at least my wife can now view her photos on the telly!

Edited by nevans (Thu 13-Jan-11 20:33:24)

Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Thu 13-Jan-11 17:42:32
Print Post

Re: HH2 and media streaming (or not!)

[re: nevans] [link to this post]

Sorry dont own an Xbox 360 but i have to say my ps3 works extremely well connected to my HH2 and picks up my desktop and the 2 Laptops in the house, does this using windows media player but also does it using my preffered software TVersity for streaming.

my name has been changed to save me from more company disciplinary procedures.

whatever i say is my thoughts and not those of the company i work for
Standard User nevans
(member) Thu 13-Jan-11 20:35:01
Print Post

[re: geordiekris] [link to this post]

Curious! Did you have to 'coax' it to work, or was it plug and play?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nevans
(member) Fri 14-Jan-11 12:04:06
Print Post

geordiekris : Have done a bit more research; is your HH2 variant A or B? apparently the 'A' variant is fine, but the 'B' variant isn't.

Edited by nevans (Fri 14-Jan-11 12:42:40)

(experienced) Fri 14-Jan-11 23:29:52
Print Post

mine is an A variant, try www.tversity.com for the free software.

Standard User nevans
(member) Sat 15-Jan-11 10:29:41
Print Post

I did try Tversity, thinking that the the sharing problem was with Windows Media Player security (which had happened to me before), but that didn't work either, as it adheres to the same protocols as WMP.

So, it seems that my hypothesis was correct; 'A' OK, 'B' pants!
Standard User christopherpovey
(regular) Tue 18-Jan-11 22:21:34
Print Post

Why would BT worry about what you stream around your house? It does not affect their network! I assume this is bad software or hardware design in the HH. I got a free HH2 when I signed up in November. It's never been out its box though. I too stream video and music to my Internet enabled AV Amp and Blu-ray player, so its not like to see the light of day either!

Christopher Povey
(experienced) Mon 24-Jan-11 00:18:27
Print Post

just completed a rebuild and network set up job had issue with 2.0a hub what security are you running ? found my customer was running kaspersky and even when checkin gkaspersky windows media was allowed when i turne dit off worked fine !

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(newbie) Mon 24-Jan-11 00:25:47
Print Post

Bs are pants, as yet not solved so this will be interesting, . Try this not perfect however this appears to be the only fix apart from the mentioned.

turn on 360, then PC, then restart PC while the xbox is still on before it figures out that there a PC connected and will stream.

It's a complete joke

Good luck!

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Mon 24-Jan-11 00:39:23)

Standard User nevans
(member) Tue 01-Feb-11 17:22:58
Print Post

Update: raised the issue with BT. They say that unless the HH2 is faulty they won't replace it! I still think that it's unfit for purpose, so what should be my next move?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to