User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yoss
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 13:03:47
Print Post

BT Usage Monitoring

[link to this post]

Hi, been having a little trouble with exceeding usage caps lately. I have BT Option 2 - the 40GB one - and have found our household's burning through the bandwidth faster than I expected. 32GB by the 15th of this month to be exact.

I was just wondering - are there any reported cases of BT overestimating usage? I don't think we're using quite that much. It had crossed my mind that our wireless network was being accessed from outside (we live in an area of many student multi-lets so lots of computers within range) but I'm using the recommended security settings (WPA-PSK I believe) so not sure if that's likely.

Also, we have no games consoles or smartphones that might be using bandwidth without our knowledge.

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know!

Maybe it is just us. I'm in the process of installing bandwith monitors on all our PCs so I'll be keeping a close eye on it next month.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jan-11 13:43:17
Print Post

Re: BT Usage Monitoring

[re: yoss] [link to this post]

WPA2-PSK is better!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User yoss
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 14:52:18
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Actually I just checked and it seems I am using WPA2. So, does it seem likely it could have been hacked?...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Harpie
(regular) Mon 17-Jan-11 15:06:55
Print Post

Remember, BT include uploads in their quota. Are you running anything like an online photo album or whatever?

Bob
XP & Win 7 + BT Homehub + BTTotal Broadband Option 2
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jan-11 15:15:34
Print Post

Your obviously using something that your monitor isn't picking up on. Traffic includes all uploads and downloads, all times of the day.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User yoss
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 15:25:00
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

Not running anything that uploads an unusual amount. And yeah, I'm aware that BT count down and uploads together and have no "off peak" time.
Standard User ArmstrongAbbott
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 16:37:30
Print Post

In order to save and enjoy £7.99 p.m. for the first 3 months, I joined BT Total Broadband Option 1 in mid November. The 1st week I got an email to say I had used 7GB of my 10GB allowance. The 2nd month I upgraded to Option 2 with 40GB allowance.

I was then presented with a bill for £166 to be paid the week of Xmas. This included £60 for the Vision Box. I asked if this could be spread out over a few months and an agreement was made to collect £54 p.m. from 28 Dec. This was never collected and a lady phoned me in the first week of Jan to say there was another £120 to add to that bill and could I pay £88 there and then on the phone and then about £60 p.m.

So, in 2 months I owe £282. A lot different to my imagined as advertised £7.99 p.m.for the first 3 months!!!!

I have since discovered that 10GB and 40GB is useage FULL STOP. I thought it was downloads, which we don't hardly do. BT's advert is very misleading though, for Option 2 it reads:
40GB monthly usage, enough to download 10,240 music files, 40,960 photos, 59 movies, 10 HD movies or 117 hours of iPlayer every month. If you exceed your usage allowance, we won't just cut you off. You'll simply be charged a little extra (£5 per 5GB)

I surf the web and emails only. My son however, plays XBox Live and World of Warcraft on pc, although no downloading going on, I understand this is where the useage is!!!!

I should have stayed with AOL, unlimited, for £19.99 p.m frown
Standard User yoss
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 18:45:33
Print Post

[re: ArmstrongAbbott] [link to this post]

That's pretty awful ArmstrongAbbot! It puts my problems into the shade. You have my sympathies.

My story was similar: We joined BT on Option 1 and exceeded the 10GB by a bit, second month we blew it right to hell and went 20GB over then we upgraded to Option 2 (40GB) and figured we'd be fine. Not so it seems!

I've dealt with the much maligned AOL in the past and even they were better than BT seems to be...
Standard User kryss
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 20:23:58
Print Post

I play World of Warcraft and its usage is not that great - maybe the Xbox is the culprit - game demos etc.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jan-11 21:16:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by ArmstrongAbbott:
I surf the web and emails only. My son however, plays XBox Live and World of Warcraft on pc, although no downloading going on, I understand this is where the useage is!!!
I can't see these uploading much. You must be downliading! Or you have a bot/virus.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to