User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ncudmore
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 09:21:30
Print Post

Recovering from line fault

[link to this post]

So, the story goes like this. I reported a line fault to BT Business on the morning Thursday 27th. I only use the line for ADSL, and the router (Cisco 877) is plugged into the master socket.

A nice person at BT Broadband went through the normal tests, quick line test, unplug router, remove faceplate and plug router into test socket and so on, and decided there was a fault on the line, and put me through to someone else to log a fault on the line. Logged the fault, and person the other end said it should be fixed by end of business the following day. As the line fault appeared to be very close to the home the engineer may need access and would I make sure someone was available to give the engineer access. Friday came, no sight or sound of an engineer - checked Friday pm, told not sure why this wasn't fixed should be done by Monday at latest. Anyway this goes on for a week..... Until last Thursday, I spot an engineer at end of path. I go have a talk - no he's not working on my fault but one 2 doors away, but if I give him my details he'll take the call and see what he can do.

30 minutes later, he says there was a break, and it's all fixed now, does a line test and everything checked out OK.

So, check router, and I have a connection at 8128kpbs - fastest ever. However, on testing the line I get, 226Kbps down and 360Kbps up.

Back on the phone to BT, after doing a check on www.speedtester.bt.com where I get

Download speedachieved during the test was - 199 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

So, asked for a 'fix' to the IP Profile, maybe a CCSNR reset I suggested.... Any-how's it's now day 11 since the fault was reported, my router's been connected since Thursday last week and shows
Text
adsl_router#sh dsl int atm 0
ATM0Alcatel 20190 chipset information
                ATU-R (DS)                      ATU-C (US)Modem Status:    Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode:        ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex AITU STD NUM:     0x03                            0x2 
Vendor ID:       'STMI'                          'TSTC'Vendor Specific: 0x0000                          0x0000
Vendor Country:  0x0F                            0xB5Chip ID:         C196 (0)
DFE BOM:         DFE3.0 Annex A (1)Capacity Used:   98%                             50%
Noise Margin:     5.0 dB                         24.0 dBOutput Power:    18.5 dBm                        12.5 dBm
Attenuation:     38.0 dB                         19.5 dBDefect Status:   None                            None                        
Last Fail Code:  NoneWatchdog Counter: 0x25
Watchdog Resets: 0Selftest Result: 0x00
Subfunction:     0x00 Interrupts:      8265 (0 spurious)
PHY Access Err:  0Activations:     2
LED Status:      ONLED On Time:     100
LED Off Time:    100Init FW:         init_AMR-3.0.014_no_bist.bin
Operation FW:    AMR-3.0.014.binFW Source:       embedded
FW Version:      3.0.14          
                 Interleave             Fast    Interleave              FastSpeed (kbps):          8128                0           448                 0
Cells:             90599620                0     255031946                 0Reed-Solomon EC:      47482                0            53                 2
CRC Errors:             412                0             8                 2Header Errors:          366                0             6                 3
Total BER:                65535E-255             0E-0Leakage Average BER:      65535E-255             0E-0
                        ATU-R (DS)      ATU-C (US)Bitswap:               enabled            enabled
Bitswap success:          0                   0Bitswap failure:          0                   0
          LOM Monitoring : Enabled
LOM watch configured for 200 timesLOM appeared continuously for 0 times

And so I guess I still have a 250kbps profile, but this morning like others the site www.speedtester.bt.com keeps showing an error. So, much for 48 hour fix for business users !
Standard User infinidim
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 13:59:35
Print Post

Re: Recovering from line fault

[re: ncudmore] [link to this post]

You should ring them up and claim compensation if they are saying it should have been fixed in 24 hours.

Just to let you know, BT Retail have raised the issue with BT Wholesale of the problems with the new version of speed tester so hopefully, I am not holding my breath, it will be fixed quickly.

Infinidim cool
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 07-Feb-11 14:30:31
Print Post

[re: ncudmore] [link to this post]

Do a re-sync now and see what the speedtest here shows. If is is still down at 200k then wait 4 hours and check again as it can take that amount of time for the re-profile to occur if the different is >250%. If ity does not change then call BT -is it may indicate a stuck profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 07-Feb-11 14:31:37
Print Post

[re: infinidim] [link to this post]

At least you have managed to get them to acknowledge the fault ... They refused to accept the feedback from me and the agents action have initiated a complaint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ncudmore
(newbie) Mon 07-Feb-11 17:09:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Well, did a re-sync, and even gone and removed the face-place, plugged in the microfilter into the test socket then tried...

Oh yeah, just outstanding, now getting... drum roll please....

Text
Date    07/02/11 16:57:23
Speed Down      113.34 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )Speed Up        331.98 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
Port    8095Server  speedtest1.thinkbroadband.com

Phoned BT and said I appeared to have a 'stuck profile', which happened once before.... After live chat, pluse three phone calls got a 'supervisor' phone me back, she said that since I had a CCSNR reset last Thursday I had to now wait 10 days before they would do anything! Ummm now checking other ISPs, as last time I had an issue BT took over 2 weeks to fix it, and blamed the theft of copper wire between the exchange and cabinet.
  Print Thread

Jump to