User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bap1ow
(experienced) Sun 13-Feb-11 13:50:23
Print Post

21CN

[link to this post]

I am up to 8Meg with BT and was told by BT that I am 21CN.upload 0.34 down 5.8
Was told that my line cannot support up to 20Meg
My previous ISP I was on up to 20Meg on 21CN upload speed 0.65 Down 5.4.
Can I be on 21CN with BT up to 8Meg and only get upload speeds' of 0.34.
Are BT telling me the truth.

My Bt Business hub tells me G.DMT Annex A what does this mean.
Hope someone can explain

Bap
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Feb-11 13:58:22
Print Post

Re: 21CN

[re: bap1ow] [link to this post]

G.DMT is the "up to 8Mbps" service, but this can be provided over a 21CN link. The maximum speeds would normally be as 20CN - 8128/448. connection.

Annex A is to do with the country. Correct for the UK, though on O2/Be to get the "up to 2.5Mbps" you get put on Annex M US 56.

We can tell the maximum speed your line could reach on 21CN from the attenuation figures from the hub. This graph is a guide. Noise margin immediately after a re-connection, plus connection speed (not speedtest speed) and attenuation can give a better estimate using this tool.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User bap1ow
(experienced) Sun 13-Feb-11 16:39:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

emailed BT last Tuesday regarding 21CN.

email from BT UK that I had not read, it was on my laptop, should have checked before posting, didnít expect a reply.

Mail from BT UK
I have questioned this and I have been advised that your line can not carry high speeds, so up to 20Mb has been removed but you are on 21CN on the up to 8Mb service.

Robert. Thanks for your help.

Bap

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Feb-11 18:20:57
Print Post

smile
Worth checking what yopur attenuation says you should get though, compared to what you do get. Note - connection speed.

It's amazing how many people get 1-2Mbps lower than they could, and all that's needed is a few minutes effort.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Feb-11 12:04:00
Print Post

The words up to are being abused left right and centre here.

They are actually saying on ADSL2+ you are not getting any benefit so we have limited you to ADSL.

Now if your sync speed is under 4Meg I would roughly agree, but at 5Meg or better on ADSL, the extra speed of ADSL2+ while not always close to 20Meg can make a difference i..e if you get 5 now, then 7 is at least an improvement.

One key point is that with ADSL2+ they usually allow the upstream to run faster. With the ADSL products there is a faster upstream product option still, but they charge more for it, since it gives your traffic possibly higher priority at peak times, i.e. is intended for businesses.

If upstream speeds are important and line was stable under ADSL2+ then make this point to BT and see if they will regrade you back to the ADSL2+ product i.e. what they confusing call up to 20Meg

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Wed 16-Feb-11 12:42:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

BT retail does not offer ADSL2+ for any user who does not see a speed increase past 8 meg.

Go figure !!!!!

my name has been changed to save me from more company disciplinary procedures.

whatever i say is my thoughts and not those of the company i work for
Standard User BP1
(committed) Wed 16-Feb-11 14:54:01
Print Post

[re: geordiekris] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by geordiekris:
BT retail does not offer ADSL2+ for any user who does not see a speed increase past 8 meg.

Go figure !!!!!

I'm on a 56db line and sync approx 4641kbps. I'm with BT on ADSL2+. It was an automatic process. I didnt ask to be upgrade to ADSL2+.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"
Standard User CloudedBrains
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 22-Feb-11 08:55:06
Print Post

[re: BP1] [link to this post]

I've recently had a tech issue with BT BB and due to that I got an offer of massive reduction in cost once the fault was fixed smile
But as a process of signing up again they must of transferred me to ITU-T G.992.5 which I believe is ADSL2+ and I am now synching at 13,806kbps wink
But it does seem that BT are doing it without people directly asking laugh

Cloudedbrains aka Donna
Ps.. I use the forum in flat mode as it is easier for me wink

BTBroadband
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1168493690.png
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Wed 23-Feb-11 00:15:39
Print Post

[re: CloudedBrains] [link to this post]

seems they are bulk migrating now like they did when an exchange was upgraded to max from fixed speed

my name has been changed to save me from more company disciplinary procedures.

whatever i say is my thoughts and not those of the company i work for
Standard User bap1ow
(experienced) Wed 23-Feb-11 08:43:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The words up to are being abused left right and centre here.

They are actually saying on ADSL2+ you are not getting any benefit so we have limited you to ADSL.

Now if your sync speed is under 4Meg I would roughly agree, but at 5Meg or better on ADSL, the extra speed of ADSL2+ while not always close to 20Meg can make a difference i..e if you get 5 now, then 7 is at least an improvement.

One key point is that with ADSL2+ they usually allow the upstream to run faster. With the ADSL products there is a faster upstream product option still, but they charge more for it, since it gives your traffic possibly higher priority at peak times, i.e. is intended for businesses.

If upstream speeds are important and line was stable under ADSL2+ then make this point to BT and see if they will regrade you back to the ADSL2+ product i.e. what they confusing call up to 20Meg

I have been in touch with BT UK and have now been changed over to ADSL+2.
A marked improvement on download and upload speeds, for now!
With BT you have to keep on complaining until someone listens to you.
  Print Thread

Jump to