User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mechro
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 17:27:58
Print Post

BT Sales Call

[link to this post]

My current ISP is Newnet and the optimum service my line supports is ADSL2+.

I've received a telephone sales call from BT Broadband offering me their broadband or broadband/phone packages. The salesman, who had never heard of Newnet, said that BT could offer me a faster broadband service because "your phone line is BT and therefore would be faster than any other provider".

As far as I'm aware BT Wholesale manage the line/connection and the speed is determined by the copper wiring and distance from the exchange so it shouldn't matter who provides the broadband package. It's arguable that BT Broadband's traffic management may be better than other ISP's but the salesman didn't make that claim.

Was I being spun a yarn or are BT Broadband doing something I don't know about?

NEWNET Home M

UBUNTU
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Feb-11 17:41:27
Print Post

Re: BT Sales Call

[re: mechro] [link to this post]

A complete load of rubbish, bordering on simple untruth. The only excuse would be ignorance by the sales person of any knowledge of the subject, in which case he shouldn't have that job.

It is also the case that Newnet provide sufficient capacity to obviate the need for traffic management. BT have comprehensive traffic management and frequent congestion.

See this comparison. All running on BT lines just like you are.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User mechro
(newbie) Tue 15-Feb-11 19:02:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

I am very happy with Newnet. In fact, I'm still on their "up to 8Mb" package and don't feel the need to change to their ADSL2+ package. Again, the BT salesman could have offered me an "upgrade" to ADSL+2 with possibly a slight increase in speed but I think his lack of knowledge prevented this.

Anyway, if and when I wish to change my ISP I prefer to do my own research.

NEWNET Home M

UBUNTU

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Feb-11 11:58:13
Print Post

The name newnet may have had them guessing it was a network not on their network.

Remember the sales person may not be based in the UK and only have the information on their screen, plus training for an hour or two.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 16-Feb-11 12:05:35
Print Post

Well there you go, thats probably what he mean't. As you are on ADSL, you could of been put on their upto 20mbps connection. Maybe you just mis understood what he said?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:09:57
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by krazykizza:
Well there you go, thats probably what he mean't. As you are on ADSL, you could of been put on their upto 20mbps connection. Maybe you just mis understood what he said?
It's hard to misunderstand
because "your phone line is BT and therefore would be faster than any other provider".
But easy to know it isn't true.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Feb-11 10:01:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by mechro:
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

I am very happy with Newnet. In fact, I'm still on their "up to 8Mb" package and don't feel the need to change to their ADSL2+ package. Again, the BT salesman could have offered me an "upgrade" to ADSL+2 with possibly a slight increase in speed but I think his lack of knowledge prevented this.

Anyway, if and when I wish to change my ISP I prefer to do my own research.

Depending how far away you are fromt he exchange if you went on Bt ADSL2+ service, you may have found yourself having a slower sync speed, never mind the traffic management that Bt have.

I never been with Newnet and don't know anyone who have, but going by what I have heard, you made the right choice.

I prefer to do my own research as well, I don't mind someone recommending me a Isp or service, but I will look at reviews and if I can look at the service in use before i make up my mind.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
  Print Thread

Jump to