User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dfa1963
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:56:43
Print Post

BT Line re-sync

[link to this post]

Have been with BT for 5+years with no major problems. Currently running with a Belkin router and upto 8meg connection, generally acheiving 5-6 meg actual with the IP profile set to 3.5-4.0 meg. Last week the phone line started crackling during comms calls and the broadband connection started dropping every 5-10mins. Line fault reported and fixed within 24hrs and comms line now crystal clear.

However, despite currently showing a 6meg DL connection to the exchange my IP profile has been set to 135k! This occurred over the weekend whilst the line was being worked on and since then I've been stuck at 135k with an actual test throughput of between 50-75k! Spoke to BT india on Mon, Tues & today and got standard script messages about the line having to re-sync which will take 10 days, during which time i may or may not see any improvement. I don't recall my initial sync when I joined BT being this bad, in fact if I recall correctly it started at the higher speeds and settled at a lower stable speed. Is there anything I can do locally to improve the connection? I'm approx 1km from the exchange as the crow flies and my router stats are:

Data Rate 5888DL 488UL
Noise Margin 14.9DL 24.0UL
Output power 17.8DL 12.UL
Attenuation 16.5DL 7.5UL

Thanks for any help offered.

BTW, I've had conflicting advice about the advisability or restarting/resetting the router - any thoughts?

Edited by dfa1963 (Wed 16-Feb-11 18:02:56)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Feb-11 19:15:01
Print Post

Re: BT Line re-sync

[re: dfa1963] [link to this post]

That's a pants sync rate for such a short line. Find the master socket, and retest with the router plugged in to the 'hidden' test socket, now what does the sown stream sync rate say ?

Standard User dfa1963
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 20:06:11
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Connected to master socket with the following router stats:

Data Rate 5856DL 448UL
Noise Margin 14.9DL 20.0UL
Output power 17.8DL 12.3L
Attenuation 16.5DL 7.5UL

BT speedtest results:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 75 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5856 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

As you say - pants!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 17-Feb-11 10:09:18
Print Post

The 135k profile has been triggered because of the original line fault.

Now, in theory it should reset back to where it should be fairly quickly, that sync should give a 5Mb profile.

Normally I suggest just leaving it alone for a week and seeing what happens - and besides, the script-followers won't do anything until the 10-day period is up.

*However*, I've seen one of the regulars on here suggest switching the router off overnight can help to unstick these, and you've nothing to lose by trying it, so I say turn it off at bedtime tonight, back on once you're into daylight tomorrow, and report back.
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Thu 17-Feb-11 16:23:19
Print Post

Re:BT Line re-sync

Hi dfa1963

I have just seen your post and would like to look into this for you to see what has happened your broadband service. If you would like me to assist with this please e-mail your account number and a link to this post I will gladly look into this for you.

Regards David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User dfa1963
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 08:45:41
Print Post

Re:BT Line re-sync

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

BT_Care

PM sent
  Print Thread

Jump to