User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User navzptc
(newbie) Thu 24-Feb-11 01:02:58
Print Post

Reset Line Parameters??

[link to this post]

I work away from home for months at a time; and recently on my return home I noticed that my noise margin is set at 12db! and is restricting my speed to 2.5mb.

Prior to my leaving in October, I had problems with the line which BT stated had been cured and reset my noise margin back to 6db which it had been running at for years without problems; and on a good day would hit 3.5mb.

I thought that the DLM would monitor the line and drop the noise margin by 3db at a time to achieve a 6db margin but this does not seem to be the case with my line.

Stats from my HH2 as below:

Line state Connected
Connection time 28 days, 4:56:02
Downstream 2,887 Kbps
Upstream 699 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.3
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 11.8 dB / 5.5 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 55.5 dB / 34.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 34
Loss of Signal (Local) 3
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 4294967177
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 13351 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 23888

Is there any way I can get this reset back to 6db?? or am I stuck with this unless I move elsewhere?? LLU??

Any info gratefully received.

Andy
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Feb-11 07:46:51
Print Post

Re: Reset Line Parameters??

[re: navzptc] [link to this post]

The first thing you need to do is restart the router and take the stats immediately afterwards. Only do this once, for now, not several times if nothing changes. Note that even if the stats change, for now your download speed will not increase.

Mini-explanation - Your connection has been up for a month. All sorts of short-term noise events can cause a disconnection/reconnection at a low speed. At that point the noise margin is reset to the connection-time setting for your line.

Then the noise stops so the margin rises.

You have the low speed, a high margin, and in fact an ADSL2 connection not an ADSL2+ one. Classic symptoms. This does not self-correct, you have to do a manual reconnection.

Longer explanations on my website - particularly on the Troubleshooting >> High Noise Margin page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User CloudedBrains
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Feb-11 10:36:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

SNR is meant to adjust itself if you line is stable with no issues for 14-21 days smile
I've had issues with mine sticking despite that and have my SNR manually fixed at 9db as this is the best option for my line smile

Cloudedbrains aka Donna
Ps.. I use the forum in flat mode as it is easier for me wink

BTBroadband
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1168493690.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Feb-11 15:18:14
Print Post

[re: CloudedBrains] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CloudedBrains:
SNR is meant to adjust itself if you line is stable with no issues for 14-21 days smile
I've had issues with mine sticking despite that and have my SNR manually fixed at 9db as this is the best option for my line smile
smile
You are thinking of the sync-time (target) noise margin. That is almost certainly not the issue here.

The only way to tell anyway is to read the stats straight after a reconnection.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Fri 25-Feb-11 15:38:12
Print Post

Reset Line Parameters??

[re: navzptc] [link to this post]

Hi navzptc

I have just seen your post and I can take a look at your broadband service to see what service you are getting and if there can be anything done to improve it. If you would like me to take a look into this drop me an e-mail to btcare@bt.com with your account number and a link to your post and I will take a look into it for you.

Regards David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User navzptc
(newbie) Sat 26-Feb-11 00:34:44
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

David,

VMT your kind offer and PM sent.

Did try a reset as suggested by RobertoS, and still remains at 12.2db.

Andy
Standard User navzptc
(newbie) Fri 04-Mar-11 13:48:25
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

I would like to say a big 'THANK YOU' to David from BT_Care.

After reading my post, and sending my details in, He has managed to get my noise margin reduced back to 6db, and I am now synching at a speed which will give me 3.5mb when my ip profile is changed from its 2k at the moment smile

Much appreciated, and thank you.

Andy
  Print Thread

Jump to