User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Supatramp
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 11:17:52
Print Post

Connection between Up and Down figures?

[link to this post]

Switched onto BT just yesterday so I know I'm on a 10 day stabilisation period, but the best I ever got with AOL was 2.9 Down. Since last night with BT, I've been at 3.9 Down, and this morning 4.1 so quite happy, but the Up figure has been consistent at .3. With AOL, other than sometimes when it was at walking pace, it was always around .7 Up.

So can I ask, what's the co-relation between the 2 figures and is there a specific reason for the Up being so much lower? the only other differences I've made to the setup is that I took off the '3rd' wire in the main BT socket, and also fitted the BT Accelerator.

David
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 12-Mar-11 14:31:46
Print Post

Re: Connection between Up and Down figures?

[re: Supatramp] [link to this post]

No relation between Down & Up Syncs; Down is as fast as your line will take. Up max is fixed by ISP and possibly package.

ADSL is Asymmetric DSL and is always asymmetrical to the detriment of the Up, because most users download (real data) more than upload (server requests).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 12-Mar-11 15:14:13
Print Post

Assuming you are on an ADSL Max type package, the standard upstream connection speed is (up to) 448kbps. The Premium rate is (up to) 832kbps.

BT Total Broadband they do not supply the 832kbps option. It sounds like that's what you were on with AOL.

Your line stats from your router (Home Hub?) would help, also which exchange is it?

Re the 3rd wire, if you mean the one connected to terminal 3 then basically all the Accelerator (iPlate) does is filter that if attached. So you have done the 100% solution then possibly added the occasionally detrimental effect of the iPlate. I would remove it. It's ugly anyway, and certainly not helping even if it isn't doing any harm.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 12-Mar-11 15:35:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BP1
(committed) Sat 12-Mar-11 15:47:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Assuming you are on an ADSL Max type package, the standard upstream connection speed is (up to) 448kbps. The Premium rate is (up to) 832kbps.

BT Total Broadband they do not supply the 832kbps option. It sounds like that's what you were on with AOL.

Your line stats from your router (Home Hub?) would help, also which exchange is it?

Re the 3rd wire, if you mean the one connected to terminal 3 then basically all the Accelerator (iPlate) does is filter that if attached. So you have done the 100% solution then possibly added the occasionally detrimental effect of the iPlate. I would remove it. It's ugly anyway, and certainly not helping even if it isn't doing any harm.

BT has been automatically updating their users onto the ADSL2+ product where exchanges have been updated. I also thought that all current BT Total broadband packages were based on upto 20M speed.

Regards

BP1

BTBroadband

"When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane"

Edited by BP1 (Sat 12-Mar-11 15:49:21)

Standard User Supatramp
(member) Sat 12-Mar-11 19:45:21
Print Post

Thanks folks for your replies, it was really just a casual inquiry, I'll wait and see where things end up after the 10 day period.

At least the change over went hassle-free. AOL maintained the service till the end, and connecting to the BT Hub, both wired and wireless, was achieved quickly and easily!

Thanks again.

David
  Print Thread

Jump to