User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WannabeMKII
(experienced) Wed 23-Mar-11 12:36:25
Print Post

HH3 & Responding to PING/ICMP

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I've recently come over to infinity and so far so good, however, is there a way of setting up the Home Hub 3 to response to PING/ICMP requests, as I can't see how to do it and it won't respond?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Mar-11 12:46:55
Print Post

Re: HH3 & Responding to PING/ICMP

[re: WannabeMKII] [link to this post]

One way I saw was to put a device in the DMZ and ping that, but that's a nasty hack. I hope there is a way to get the HH3 to respond directly.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 23-Mar-11 20:10:39
Print Post

Not sure there is with the HH3 - there really isn't a configurable firewall in the BT ones (there is a firewall, but it's very limited in it's adjustability).

On the HH2 you get 3 choices,

Allow outbound - block inbound
Block all
Block nothing

What is it you are trying to do? Responding to ping is usually not needed, a spot of port forwarding or DMZ for the thing you actually need to get to normally does the job.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(experienced) Wed 23-Mar-11 21:54:45
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

I probably should've explained better in my first post.

Basically, I'm looking to setup f8lure to ping my connection to 'backup' any latency issues I may experience and also to check if the connection drops totally.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 00:46:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by WannabeMKII:
I probably should've explained better in my first post.

Basically, I'm looking to setup f8lure to ping my connection to 'backup' any latency issues I may experience and also to check if the connection drops totally.
Well, like the message on that website says:
If anyone knows how to enable ping on BT Home Hubs please email me!

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 11:24:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Well, like the message on that website says:
If anyone knows how to enable ping on BT Home Hubs please email me!

I didn't and can't see that bit, but appears there's more than 1 person interested in achieving it without having to buy a new router or open up DMZ to a 'device'.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 11:49:30
Print Post

You'll see it when you've signed up to f8lure. Go on, hang a spare router off the HH3 and put it in the DMZ wink

(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 11:57:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

You'll see it when you've signed up to f8lure.

Lol, I've been in that page many a time and never spotted that before.

Go on, hang a spare router off the HH3 and put it in the DMZ wink

What a backwards way I doing it... Seems a bit of a waste of electric to stick a router on the end of it just to respond to pings and no other reason. I wonder why BT don't have it on their routers? Perhaps they don't want people being able to monitor latency smile

I've also heard that it can cause a slow down in responses for general web browsing, as it tries to access the DMZ first before checking anything else on the network?

Is this the case?

Does something have to be on DMZ to respond to a ping, or is there a port that could be forwarded to a device to respond?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 24-Mar-11 12:11:03
Print Post

Jeez, let me know if it works laugh

(experienced) Thu 24-Mar-11 12:32:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by WannabeMKII:
Does something have to be on DMZ to respond to a ping, or is there a port that could be forwarded to a device to respond?

A quick Google reveals this isn't possible and that something on the DMZ is the only option with a HH3 (and HH2 for that matter).

So two choices, DMZ or new router that responds to pings.

Hmmm, don't really want to spend the money, so looks like I'll have to add something to DMZ, or just not worry at all...

Print Thread

Jump to