User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Fri 25-Mar-11 16:00:13
Print Post

BT misinformation

[link to this post]

Until recently I was with Sky on full LLU package but was having problems with slow downs and disconnections. I was aware that BT Infinity was available in my street so I put my post code and house no. into the BT line checker and the result was available at est. 38.5 Mbs.
I canceled my Sky package without any hassle and BT took over my line with only a one hour disconnection. I then put my phone number into the BT checker and it came back as unavailable. Contacted BT by phone and after 15 minutes got the call center who couldn't give me an explanation other than no capacity. Why then was it available with my house no. and post code?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 25-Mar-11 16:04:14
Print Post

Re: BT misinformation

[re: mr_spokey] [link to this post]

Did you read what it says on the BT Postcode check?

Please note that the postcode checker is less accurate than the telephone number checker because it uses a best guess of where you live based on the centre point of the postcode area entered. BT's ability to provide Broadband to your address will depend on the availability of Broadband ADSL at your serving exchange and other factors including the length of the line connecting you to that exchange.

Several postcode areas extend over more than one telephone exchange area, therefore the checker data will only be correct if it has correctly assumed which telephone exchange provides service to your address.

In addition, the postcode checker may not give an accurate estimate of the routing of the telephone cable that is connected to your address, therefore the result given by the postcode checker must be treated with caution.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Fri 25-Mar-11 16:16:45
Print Post

Did not read the small print but I could not enter the phone number of a Sky connection and also two people connected to the same pole as me have Infinity.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Mar-11 16:26:37
Print Post

If it all happened today or yesterday it will be because the number you have and your location for it aren't yet updated on the relevant BT databases. There are about three I think.

Is it the same number as you had on Sky, or a new one. Same applies whichever, just probably a different bit of the updating loop to jump through.

Try a couple of times a day for a few days. Two to three days seems to be the norm.

I assume your Sky LLU broadband is still working?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Fri 25-Mar-11 16:36:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your prompt replies. Same phone number transferred to BT last Friday 18/3.
Sky broadband disconnected on that date also.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 25-Mar-11 16:41:16
Print Post

frown
Everything should have updated by now then.

What do the BT Wholesale and Infinity checkers say now, using the phone number?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 25-Mar-11 16:41:56)

Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Fri 25-Mar-11 17:01:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BT wholesale checker says my line may not support ADSL Max but would support a fixed line speed of up to 2 Mbs.This cannot be correct as I have had ADSL Max from Plusnet @6.8Mbs before moving to Sky. ADSL2.+ will be available from 30th June 2011.No mention of Infinity.
BT infinity checker still says no to the phone number but yes to the house number and post code.
Standard User paulglavin
(committed) Fri 25-Mar-11 21:25:27
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

It can take a while for "new" bt numbers to appear on the database. New lines can take up to 10 days before they appear.

BE* Unlimited ADSL 2048/512, Airport Extreme and BEBox.
Standard User mr_spokey
(newbie) Fri 25-Mar-11 22:43:11
Print Post

[re: paulglavin] [link to this post]

Many thanks Paul. Will keep checking over the next week using mobile broadband.
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Sat 26-Mar-11 18:37:53
Print Post

worst case sceanrio it caN TAke up to 52 days for the openreach system to update and nowt you can do about it until day 53

my name has been changed to save me from more company disciplinary procedures.

whatever i say is my thoughts and not those of the company i work for
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to