User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User markward1976
(regular) Wed 20-Apr-11 12:50:09
Print Post

Should i get BT Infinity

[link to this post]

I can get BT Infinity in my area but it will cost £38 a month,
I am with sky 8 meg at the moment its a lot cheaper. I mainly play on my xbox 360 and ps3 would i get less lag while playing games if i have BT Infinity.
Standard User Nanotek2
(newbie) Wed 20-Apr-11 13:36:16
Print Post

Re: Should i get BT Infinity

[re: markward1976] [link to this post]

Well, if BT infinity goes through fibre optic, then you will love the pings. When I was with fibre optic on Virgin my ping was amazing most of the times staying at 45-60. But your sky broadband I don't think it goes through fibre optic, just via your telephone cable, so you will have more lag
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Apr-11 15:34:26
Print Post

What sort of ping are you getting now?

The reduction if you are getting 20-30ms pings now will not really be noticeable, and the extra speed makes no difference to gaming other than downloading patches/demos or if hosting games (the upstream helps there).

You might find switching away from Sky to a provider with better latency on ADSL helps. The Sky network due to its unlimited nature will very often have a higher latency than some other providers.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Apr-11 18:35:25
Print Post

Pings are likely to be lower but you're not going to notice it really.

You have to decide if you want the extra speed for the extra cost over the subsidised sky product you use.

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User markward1976
(regular) Thu 21-Apr-11 10:11:45
Print Post

[re: Nanotek2] [link to this post]

thanks guys,
I will give it a miss then do you think sky will get this service at any point.
Standard User Nanotek2
(newbie) Thu 21-Apr-11 15:41:29
Print Post

It depends on how far are you from the exchange, the closer you are, the better qualityy you will have, ping and speed.

I am now about to switch to BT (I am with Virgin 8mb ADSL frown )since I found out that they would be able to give me between 10 and 19.5 mb, they said that normally will get 17mb, and the exchange seems to be 10 mins from my location, so I will keep my finger crossed and wish for nice pings for gaming!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Apr-11 22:38:03
Print Post

[re: Nanotek2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Nanotek2:
It depends on how far are you from the exchange, the closer you are, the better qualityy you will have, ping and speed.

I am now about to switch to BT (I am with Virgin 8mb ADSL frown )since I found out that they would be able to give me between 10 and 19.5 mb, they said that normally will get 17mb, and the exchange seems to be 10 mins from my location, so I will keep my finger crossed and wish for nice pings for gaming!
The question is about BT Infinity, and you are talking about ADSL2+ - nothing to do with it.

On FTTC, (Infinity being the BT Broadband offering but there are many others), the distance from the exchange is completely irrelevant. Only the distance from the cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Apr-11 22:45:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by markward1976:
I can get BT Infinity in my area but it will cost £38 a month,
I am with sky 8 meg at the moment its a lot cheaper. I mainly play on my xbox 360 and ps3 would i get less lag while playing games if i have BT Infinity.
I tossed up between Infinity and the one I went for - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. As 15/45GB peak/off-peak is fine for me I ended up with IDNet. (Line rental is with BT and total cost similar to your quoted £38).

Click the Live BQM link in my sig. (Yikes, there must have been a problem Thursday night, as I've never seen those heavy red spikes before, just usually a tiny fringe midnight to 1am).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to