User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AndrewW
(member) Thu 21-Apr-11 08:55:42
Print Post

Should i move to BT for FTTC

[link to this post]

I'm currently with Zen, and very happy with their service, however I object to the charges for their FTTC service, and Iím considering other ISP's

For me the important services are

Good customer service
Fast & Reliable internet access
Static IP (if possible)

Lastly Iím not a torrent user and donít want to become one either

Should I move to BT ???

What are BT generally like these days, is there traffic management, as I will be using this service a lot for video streaming.

Andrew
Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Apr-11 09:09:35
Print Post

Re: Should i move to BT for FTTC

[re: AndrewW] [link to this post]

It depends what you want to use the connection for.

If you intend on hammering the torrents then BT is not for you. ADSL24 are highly rated for FTTC.

-

xilo.net Office 8Mb
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Apr-11 13:40:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by AndrewW:
For me the important services are

Good customer service
Fast & Reliable internet access
Static IP (if possible)

Lastly Iím not a torrent user and donít want to become one either

Should I move to BT ???

What are BT generally like these days, is there traffic management, as I will be using this service a lot for video streaming.

Andrew

1) Customer service can be variable, that said I have contacted them a couple of times recently to change a contact number and they got back to me the next day (I emailed them). I found the phone menu system not very good and it seem designed to stop you actually talking to someone.
2) Can't fault this yet...
3) They do not seem to do a static IP on the consumer FTTC but I believe that the business version does.

They do have traffic management but it is only on P2P so far I think, Newsgroups do not appear to be affected. They are also supposed to have removed the 300GB limit in the FUP. I may well find out this month.

I was with BT for my original 512Kb broadband in 2002 (£29.99 shocked). I left because I found them inflexible and they had a 'computer says no' attitude. They said I could not get 2Mbps because my line was not good enough (wrong! I had 2Mbps from Freedom2Surf). That now seems to have changed and you can get things done, providing you get the right person.

I have been back with them for just under 2 weeks and ok so far...

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User planetf1
(experienced) Thu 21-Apr-11 16:21:21
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

Been with infinity since mid Jan. Previously on an O2 unlimited package 3.5/1, now get 34/8. Speed rarely slows down -- perhaps to 30, not really much lower.

My main uses are : video streaming (youtube/iplayer etc), downloads, web browsing, email/im, VPN (IPSEC)

Two problems
a) HH2 was rubbish, but they replaced with HH3 (went via twitter/forum so no call to level 1!)
b) Had a one hour slowdown (17) but fixed itself. BT confirmed there was an outage.

Transfer 150-220 GB/month and pretty much delighted.

Rarely P2P - did try one the other day. very slow until midnight ish then suddenly fast. I knew this up front and no concern for me

No regrets here.
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Thu 21-Apr-11 17:17:03
Print Post

Stay with Zen.
Standard User RSTSGeek
(member) Thu 21-Apr-11 18:10:34
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

And the reasons to stay with Zen are .......

- Alex
Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Thu 21-Apr-11 18:43:38
Print Post

I moved to BT Infinity from an O2 legacy connection earlier this month. I was a little wary about moving to BT but the connection has been perfect so far. I wouldn't recommend BT for ADSL, but for FTTC no one else comes close at the moment imo. (for price/usage)

The only traffic management I've seen is on torrents which I don't really use. Everything else I've done including newsgroups has run at full speed 24/7 (37meg down 8 meg up). I've not seen any slow downs yet and the connection hasn't dropped.

Can't tell you anything about customer service, not had to contact them, but the installation went fine.

It's impossible to say what will happen in the future, but right now BT Infinity is very good.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Apr-11 21:04:39
Print Post

[re: Yerman164] [link to this post]

>>I wouldn't recommend BT for ADSL, but for FTTC no one else comes close at the moment imo.

BT adsl is the same as Infinity. Bullet proof reliability, throttled p2p. everything else, streams,usenet, ftp is hunky dory

Edited by RandomJointer (Thu 21-Apr-11 21:10:35)

Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Apr-11 21:06:53
Print Post

BT throttle p2p. If you are not into p2p Infinity is by far the best value FTTC out there.

Some punters are paying well over the odds for inferior services and posting looking for reassurance for their extravagance.

Right now they are paying for their heavily overpriced 'premium' support to be closed for 8 out of the next 11 days.

For most punters Infinity is a no brainer.

Edited by RandomJointer (Thu 21-Apr-11 21:43:33)

Standard User Yerman164
(learned) Fri 22-Apr-11 01:45:00
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RandomJointer:
>>I wouldn't recommend BT for ADSL, but for FTTC no one else comes close at the moment imo.

BT adsl is the same as Infinity. Bullet proof reliability, throttled p2p. everything else, streams,usenet, ftp is hunky dory

Yes but there are better alternatives to BT on ADSL, e.g. Sky and Be*. They're both truly unlimited, don't throttle and are cheaper. There's no better alternative to BT on FTTC at the moment in terms of price/usage.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to