User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bingefeller
(learned) Thu 28-Apr-11 23:45:49
Print Post

BT Infinity - Disconnection

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

Firstly I was having a look in the event log and see a lot of events that look like this:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1616/unledwb.jpg

Sorry for the crude editing, but you guys see what I'm talking about, right? We haven't had any internet problems and these strange entries only started today at around 15.00. Why does it seem that the different computers using the network are connecting at different speeds constantly?

OK, the second part of my query is - tonight at around 21.30, my computer lost it's wireless connection, as did my sister's computer. Both machines reconnected within a few seconds and worked OK. I had a look in the log for that time and saw this:

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/7734/unledgt.jpg

Now, I am no expert, but it looks to me as though someone else has logged onto my router..... Can anyone shed some light on this please? It seems to be something to do with the "Transaction for event code 6" thing.

Please remember that the times on my HH3 seem to be one hour out.
Standard User dustofnations
(learned) Fri 29-Apr-11 10:57:55
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity - Disconnection

[re: Bingefeller] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bingefeller:
Hi guys,

Firstly I was having a look in the event log and see a lot of events that look like this:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1616/unledwb.jpg

Sorry for the crude editing, but you guys see what I'm talking about, right? We haven't had any internet problems and these strange entries only started today at around 15.00. Why does it seem that the different computers using the network are connecting at different speeds constantly?

OK, the second part of my query is - tonight at around 21.30, my computer lost it's wireless connection, as did my sister's computer. Both machines reconnected within a few seconds and worked OK. I had a look in the log for that time and saw this:

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/7734/unledgt.jpg

Now, I am no expert, but it looks to me as though someone else has logged onto my router..... Can anyone shed some light on this please? It seems to be something to do with the "Transaction for event code 6" thing.

Please remember that the times on my HH3 seem to be one hour out.

Picture 1:

Because Wi-Fi connectivity is rate-adaptive, so it will alter the transmission rate in order to get a stable signal between router and Wi-Fi device (air attenuates signals very quickly). So you'd expect different clients to have different connection speeds.

Unless the host-names are unknown on your network, then it should be fine.

Picture 2:

Not precisely sure what event code 6 is for the router, but it just looks like a reconnect to the cabinet. If you google the message, plenty of other users have it when there is instability/resynching. So that is probably it.

At a guess the URI is possibly to pull in config data.

Edited by dustofnations (Fri 29-Apr-11 10:59:55)

(learned) Fri 29-Apr-11 11:04:33
Print Post

[re: dustofnations] [link to this post]

Thanks for checking it out for me.

So, these things are normal enough and nothing to worry about?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Apr-11 16:05:16
Print Post

Does Infinity still have that thing where your Home Hub intentionally connection provides a WAP for anyone around? I forget what they call it. BT Fon or Anywhere or something?

What wireless security have you got enabled anyway, and how complex a key?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 30-Apr-11 16:39:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Does Infinity still have that thing where your Home Hub intentionally connection provides a WAP for anyone around? I forget what they call it. BT Fon or Anywhere or something?

On Residential there is BT Openzone and BT Fon, with Business there is just Openzone.

My neighbour and I both have Openzone enabled - it gives me access to any Openzone point at no cost when away from home. But given our location it is unlikely that anyone else could log on to our Openzone access points without being in my driveway espcially as it is well shielded and I cannot even see it when in te garden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 30-Apr-11 17:26:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Openzone, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

(regular) Sun 01-May-11 18:15:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Roberto I have WPA/WPA2 enable and it's a complex enough key. smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-May-11 22:47:01
Print Post

What about Openzone/FON though?

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 01-May-11 22:49:03)

Print Thread

Jump to