User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Sun 01-May-11 13:39:35
Print Post

BT Infinity updates -or lack off

[link to this post]

Some people may be aware that BT have moved their Infinity start dates back by almost 3 months in some cases and in other 6 months.

I was wondering why BT cannot be bothered to email and explain why the delay to all those that took the time to register their interest in the product.

On the Infinity page why not can BT not just be honest and direct with its customer and explain why the delay as occurred?

I did complain to BT about the delay and asked to be contacted by email. They called my home number and left a message not answering any of the questions put to them. I call BT and then received the following reply:

If the estimated service availability date on the exchange you are looking at has changed then please note that as previously indicated our rollout plans are indicative and include a degree of contingency. This has allowed us to continue to deliver our deployment to plan in terms of the number of homes able to access Super-fast Broadband services. We would like to confirm that no exchanges have been removed from the list and we are still planning to deliver fibre to these areas by the revised date shown in the table above.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-May-11 15:22:56
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity updates -or lack off

[re: Leenig] [link to this post]

You are asking the wrong company.

The availability of Infinity requires an FTTC cabinet to be installed near to and connected to your phone cabinet. When that is done depends on Openreach; its subcontractors doing the installation; the electricity supplier; and in conservation areas also involves the local authority.

Even given the cabinet, it still requires BT Wholesale to take a feed from the Openreach fibre termination at the exchange.

BT (Retail) may have an input to these schedules, but has zero control. The dates it is giving you are just reflections of the Openreach and Wholesale schedules. It is those that are changing.

So the BT Retail staff cannot explain the delays. They do not have the information at that level of detail.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Leenig
(experienced) Sun 01-May-11 17:14:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If they send a response like your reply Robert it would go a long way to explaining and keeping people in the loop rather than lies or no information.

Thanks for being more informative than BT.

Lee

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 01-May-11 22:46:01
Print Post

[re: Leenig] [link to this post]

I do agree that the gobbledegook you quoted is ridiculous.

I don't know if you are aware of this checker?

Although it seems to have stopped happening, there have been cases where that has shown FTTC available (at above 15Mbps), but for a couple of weeks or so afterwards the Infinity checker has said that Infinity is not available. A few people as a result have been successfully connected through a different FTTC supplier.

Then there is the problem of when the estimate is below 15Mbps. Several ISPs will accept orders in that situation, but with BT you have to go through hoops to get "Broadband Option 3 with Fibre".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to