User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User foxycat
(regular) Fri 06-May-11 15:58:54
Print Post

Digital Vault Encryption?

[link to this post]

I posted this a few days ago on the BTCare Forums, but have had no response so trying here....

I've spent a while trawling the BT Help and Forums trying to ascertain what (if any) encryption is used on the data I might store in my Digital Vault (that comes with my Infinity package).

Can someone enlighten me, or point me in the right direction to find out?
Thanks.
Standard User ggremlin
(member) Fri 06-May-11 18:08:23
Print Post

Re: Digital Vault Encryption?

[re: foxycat] [link to this post]

I didn't think they encrypt the data for you, (and in any case anyone with your credentials could get the data)
but you could encrypt it before saving it locally, (a much better solution)
Standard User foxycat
(regular) Fri 06-May-11 20:25:29
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Thanks, but I don't know how to do that. The main thing I would want backed up is my Outlook pst file. I wouldn't want anyone hacking into its contents and using my contacts for spam.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User scragglymonk
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-May-11 19:04:20
Print Post

[re: foxycat] [link to this post]

get the truecrypt package, recall it offers the option of a password and a keyfile

make an encrypted TC volume, use a locally held keyfile, the TC file will not be accessible unless they have the keyfile and they might not know that smile

Windows is now a 64 bit tweak of a 32 bit extension to a 16 bit user interface for an 8 bit operating system based on a 4 bit architecture from a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition. Merula MaxADSL
http://www.speedtest.net/result/400698774.png
Standard User foxycat
(regular) Mon 09-May-11 19:44:28
Print Post

[re: scragglymonk] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, but I think I'll just pass on the whole Digital Vault thing.
I was hoping to get SOME response from BT Care, if only to confirm that they keep customer's data in a way that can be read by anyone!
I've seen them respond to other threads on here, and on their own forums, but it seems they don't want to 'fess up to this. Not surprised in light of Sony's recent problems.
  Print Thread

Jump to