User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mol2
(newbie) Fri 06-May-11 20:47:30
Print Post

Infinity Installation Woes

[link to this post]

Ordered BT infinity.
Kit arrives.
Date for engineer to install - yesterday.
Engineer comes (doesn't fill me with confidence from the outset) Goes to green box ouside the house & connects the infinity to the phone line. Doesn't sync & makes the phone line hiss and loose the dialing tone. Engineer deems it a line fault, disconnects infinity (phone works again) and tells me I have to report line faut to BT & duly dissapears.

4 phone conversations later explaining that "your engineer says there is a fault on the line" and finally line engineer is sceduled. You'll get a call 1 hour before engineer arrives tommorrow.
Engineer arrives at 8 am or so (no phone call but fortunately my wife was in). The line engineer connects laptom & deem line to be perfect and in so may words says the infinity installer hadn't done his job properly and that he could and should have sorted it yesterday as the fault was the way the infinity had been connected up in the green box! However he couldn't do that as that was down to the broadband engineers.

I now have a resceduled installation date in 2 weeks time - by which time Zen will have terminated my ADSL connection and can't get any joy out of the Indian call centre tonight when I rang to try and get the installation brought forward.

Is it really fair I should loose connection simply because the installer didn't do his job properly?
I'm regretting leaving Zen already (sorry £36 a month is just too much for their fibre connection)

Andy
Standard User Squirrel
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 12:53:59
Print Post

Re: Infinity Installation Woes

[re: mol2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mol2:
Is it really fair I should loose connection simply because the installer didn't do his job properly?
I'm regretting leaving Zen already (sorry £36 a month is just too much for their fibre connection)
Andy

I assume you are aware that even if you had decided that £36 was not too much to pay and had gone to Zen fibre you would still have had the "same" BT engineers doing the connection at your house.

Standard User mol2
(newbie) Sat 07-May-11 13:22:59
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

Indeed I am aware the same engineers would have been doing the job.

However I wouldn't have wasted half as much time on the phone going through option after option and having circular phone calls after queing for far too long.

As a customer why should I spent my time explaining to BT's help desk the problem BT's own engineer had identified on a BT line but couldn't be bothered to sort out himself or make proper arrangements for those who could sort the problem to do so?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-May-11 14:01:51
Print Post

If you have to rebook the installation, you may as well cancel the order and start again to take advantage of the first 3 months free laugh

Looks like you had a Openreach eng that shouldn't have a job and best let someone else take his job and he can get to the back of the dole que.

o2 LLU
ROUTER:-DGN2000
Sync 17848D 1412U Annex A
Att:-35.0dB Down 17.4dB Up
SNR:-1.5dB Down 3.1dB Up
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Sat 07-May-11 14:53:44
Print Post

You get what you pay for. wink
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Sat 07-May-11 16:42:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by mol2:
Ordered BT infinity.
Kit arrives.
Date for engineer to install - yesterday.
Engineer comes (doesn't fill me with confidence from the outset) Goes to green box ouside the house & connects the infinity to the phone line. Doesn't sync & makes the phone line hiss and loose the dialing tone. Engineer deems it a line fault, disconnects infinity (phone works again) and tells me I have to report line faut to BT & duly dissapears.

4 phone conversations later explaining that "your engineer says there is a fault on the line" and finally line engineer is sceduled. You'll get a call 1 hour before engineer arrives tommorrow.
Engineer arrives at 8 am or so (no phone call but fortunately my wife was in). The line engineer connects laptom & deem line to be perfect and in so may words says the infinity installer hadn't done his job properly and that he could and should have sorted it yesterday as the fault was the way the infinity had been connected up in the green box! However he couldn't do that as that was down to the broadband engineers.

I now have a resceduled installation date in 2 weeks time - by which time Zen will have terminated my ADSL connection and can't get any joy out of the Indian call centre tonight when I rang to try and get the installation brought forward.

Andy

Well, you could recount this tale to the "big chief's" office and you will then receive a reply, plus senior level monitoring of the action taken to resolve your complaint.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User mol2
(newbie) Sat 07-May-11 20:40:37
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Forgive my ignorance but who is the "Big Chief"?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 07-May-11 21:00:41
Print Post

BT Chief Executive Officer. Ian Livingston.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 09-May-11 04:03:02
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Indeed, generally we get a lot more than you do what with not having to pay for install, equipment and a lower monthly fee. Guess what, we have a better usage allowance too.

How much you paying Zen? Oh wait, that's right. Everytime I ask you to let us in on the secret you disappear.

I'm sure we'll be seeing a reply from you to the post in short order wink

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User Copperking
(newbie) Mon 09-May-11 08:50:39
Print Post