User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-May-11 17:53:41
Print Post

Re: Speed Variation

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

We have proved your line will connect at 8128kbps. That will give you an IP Profile of 7150kbps after a few days, then depending on BT you will get 6500kbps or more actual at good times.

What we have to do is get the same performance from the outer socket.

What might be worth trying is to replace it, still without the phone, and again get the full stats immediately. Purely a confirmation test that there is a problem with the wiring to that removable faceplate, as opposed to a one-off incident as mentioned by MHC.

Sorry to get long-winded in what follows, but we are trying to get you up to those high speeds permanently through the master, and once they are installed any of the extensions as well.

What I'd like really is two or three photos, as I can't quite follow your description and some of it seems odd. Also, the terminals on the faceplate are numbered. What is/are the colour(s) of the wire on each terminal, and what number is that terminal? Which one disappears off into the rest of the house, and what's this about a box in the roof? Daft though it will seem to you, the colours and numbers are very important.

Are you saying the cable from the pole goes underground to the house, and if so does it come in through the wall to the master, or go into the roof to that internal box, and then down to the master rather than as you described?

Phew! smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-May-11 17:54:34
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

The good stats are using the test socket John smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Speedchaser
(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 17:55:24
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Your phrase was fine, I'm just learning and I am aware that you guys need accurate info. plugged my phone line back in and these are the stats.
ADSL line status
Connection information

Downstream 8,128 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps
ADSL settings

Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 9.2 dB / 23.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 36.0 dB / 19.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm

Again much better. The only thing that has changed is the fact that my hub is now pluged directly into the test socket under the mains' socket plate. Though despite this all TB speedtests show consistent 2.8Mdownload and 446Kish up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-May-11 17:57:32
Print Post

Read the link I gave to my IP Profile page. That's why it makes no difference - yet! As I said a few minutes ago, you are looking to get 6500kbps once we have things sorted.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Wed 11-May-11 17:59:58
Print Post

The BT systems throttle you to the lowest recent sync speed. It takes up to five days for the throttle to be reset. That's the reason it will take time for speed tests to improve.
(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 18:00:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok if i want to link/add an image to this thread how do I go about it?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-May-11 18:27:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Speedchaser:
Ok if i want to link/add an image to this thread how do I go about it?
You can't add an image, just a link. To see how to do a link, click Quote instead of Reply to this post and look at the wrapper round the URL there, which is followed by what you see in the post, then another small end marker. So, here's another link to my IP Profile page. (Edit - you don't need the line feed before that string, that's just inserted by the display of the quote because the string won't fit on the original line. Just a single space after the previous word is fine.).

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 11-May-11 18:30:36)

(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 19:40:33
Print Post

Sorry this took so long. Here is a link to some photos of the main (only) socket currently. The grey black cable comming up from the inernal socket goes through the wall to the outside then 200m to the roadside pole. the wite cable goes up to somewhere. The electrician said he still has to wire that all up so phone lines will work in other parts of the house not that there are even plates at those points yet.link
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 11-May-11 20:11:04
Print Post

Afraid the photos aren't close-up enough, on zoom to 200% they go very fuzzy as well. 400% can make some sense of the middle one, but everything else just becomes a blur.

Am I right in saying that the cable from the pole has two wires connected to terminals marked A and B on the back of the bit you have pulled out of the wall, which has the test socket on its front? Possibly blue and brown?

If so, are there any other wires connected to that bit?

You still don't say what is connected to where on the removable faceplate. Does everything that is connected to the faceplate come from the white cable?

You say "grey black cable comming up from the inernal socket". But I see that cable going down from all the master socket stuff. Is there something lower down we can't see? (Not that that really matters, as we know the test socket is fine).

(newbie) Wed 11-May-11 23:51:42
Print Post

Sorry for any confusion. I guess thats the trouble when someone skilled in a particular area is talking to someone unskilled. The unskilled person perhaps uses incorrect terminology cofusing the matter. The grey/black line comes directly from the street pole without interuption. This line from the pole comes directly through the wall via a duct to the socket shown in the photos. This group of wires coming directly into the house consists of 5 white wires and one green, one grey, one blue, one orange and one brown. Of these wires one white is conected to the B and the blue wire is conected to the A on the back of the base plate that connects directly to the wall. There are no other wires connected to this socket and no other places for connections on this base plate. There is of course a face plate that screws onto this base plate as I call it. It consists of the connection/pins that fits into the test plug, a plug where you would normally put a line into and then a terminal which you can connect three individual wires to, numbered 2/ 3 /5.

So as not to confuse there is a seperate group of wires. These are internal wiring by the electrician. It is the white line that runs from the hole in the wall up the wall and connect the various phone points throughout the house to the main line. This part of the houses' phone line connections is not yet complete as face plates/sockets are not yet conected to the wires that run to them. This white line is a group of wires consisting of one green, one blue, one orange and three white wires (the white wires also have some color dashes one being green dashes one orange and one blue) . Of thes wires the blue wire is conected to the nubered terminal on the face plate at the position marked 2. As far as I'm aware this blue wire runs to some other part of the house not yet wired up. My understanding is though that the electrician, besides installing face plates sockets to the other rooms has yet to do some work to mesh( I know this is not correct terminology) the incomming wires to this interal white line group of wires that feeds the rest of the house. Im not sure if he just has to wire it up to this plate in the photos or has to add some box? On posting my inital router stasts the hub was pluged into face plate of the base plate(via the broadband filter). The improved stats were given when the hub was plugged into the test socket on the base plate( via broadband filter). Hope this helps clarify the set up.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to