User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-May-11 14:41:20
Print Post

Re: Speed Variation

[re: Speedchaser] [link to this post]

Spot on! You are now an expert smile tongue.

The problem was that the wires from the white cable to the detachable faceplate are in pairs. So blue/white goes with white/blue. Each wire picks up interference, just like the ring wire you will have read about. But its pair and it are twisted round each other all the way along the cable. They both therefore pick up roughly the same interference, but this interference is then fed (again roughly) equally to T2 and T5. I don't fully understand how, but this means that somewhere in the sytems they cancel each other out. Almost zero noise.

You had one of the pair connected - very bad news. The noise from it was not cancelled out.

You could probably have connected the white/blue to T5, but let him do that.

When he comes, tell him you only want T2 and T5 connected at all sockets. Specifically, do not connect anything to T3, even if that's what his "instructions" say. That is the bell wire, and just the same happens - an unbalanced noise is fed back onto the line, as it indirectly gets onto one of the main pair.

So - well done smile. (You see why we needed such detail?) You have also confirmed along the way that the correct type of white cable seems to have been used, judging by the colours. Not guaranteed, but almost certain. So get back to us if the speed drops again when everything is connected. It shouldn't.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-May-11 14:45:03
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
Bob, I've got good enough resolution to confirm that, in Picture 2, from the incoming drop cable there is the pair, blue to A & white to B connected to the rear IDC of the NTE5A.

Looking at Pic 3 and then Pic 1, I can see that blue/white is connected to the EU faceplate, whilst its corresponding white/blue is disconnected.

From what the OP has said, I think it is fairly certain that having the EU faceplate (with it's semi-connected extension wiring) plugged into the NTE5A body will be contributing to this issue.

Would you agree?
Thanks smile.

By the time I got here just now it was all sorted, otherwise that would have helped me a lot. Yes, you're right, as you can see from the later posts by the others. A single wire of the pair puts noise on the line.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Speedchaser
(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 14:47:03
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Also if I could ask a couple of more questions. What is the purpose/ potential purpose of the other wires ie brown, green, orange etc? Are they so you could have a extra separate line/ broadband? Also through all the tests the upload speed remained constant at around 400kbps. Why does it not increase even slightly?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-May-11 14:50:35
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
I got there eventually! smile
smile

And yes, I agree, as you can see from my reply to the OP, connecting the white/blue to T5 would be optimum, but I doubt if he has an IDC tool, so the less he messes the better. The electrician I assume has one.

A good team effort lol.

Standard User Speedchaser
(newbie) Thu 12-May-11 14:57:06
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The theory and practice are starting to gel. Thanks so much for all the insight. My friend who lives in an older house, on the same exchange and with same provider had BT out to check the line as his internet was slow. Engineer said his speed to house was 6meg. As my friend could only get around 2meg and I with Virgin at old house was getting 900kbp tops.. we thought he was lying!! Perhaps there is a similar problem with his wiring. You've turned me into an amature engineer.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 12-May-11 18:09:56
Print Post

Don't know whether it will work with V2 ... try V1 but it may well fail.

Try the Custom / User Defined Modem option - if you can provide the link to the page where the stats are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Fri 13-May-11 00:53:38
Print Post

I've only just caught up with the latest posts to this thread. Excellent news! smile

To answer your question about the other colours --

(1) In the BT drop cable from the pole, there are just multiple pairs: for redundancy, for multiple lines or whatever the local requirements dictate. If you count up the white wires and the other coloured wires within that cable you will see that they are equal. Look even closer and you will see that each colour is part of a twisted pair with a white wire. It is important that a twisted pair is used, just as RobertoS has explained earlier. If the wrong white wire was used (obviously at both ends) that would be described as "split legs" and the circuit would be very prone to induced noise, etc, thus under performing.

(2) In the internal, white sheathed, cable you will note an even number of conductors as they are arranged in twisted pairs (as above). Modern telephony cable, used in domestic situations, could range from just a one pair cable to a three pair cable (the most common) which your electrician has used. In the three pair cable, the pairs are: green (with white stripe) & white (with green stripe), blue (with white stripe) & white (with blue strip) and orange (with white stripe) & white (with orange stripe). Hence you will see reference to "the blue pair", "the orange pair", "the green pair", etc. This three pair (six core) cable dates back to the early 1980s when BT introduced a newer wiring style. The original idea was that each internal socket had all six cores connected: green/w to 1, blue/w to 2, orange/w to 3, while/o to 4, white/b to 5 and white/g to 6. That wiring was very rarely needed and soon was superseded by: b/w to 2, o/w to 3, w/o to 4 and w/b to 5. Note that you may still find sockets connected that way to this day. You can see the symmetry of having two pairs connected. The voice/data is on the blue pair (2 & 5) which corresponds to the B- & A-wire of the incoming BT pair (-50v and approx. 0v, each w.r.t. earth) and the orange pair, o/w (3) was required for the "bell" circuit, whilst the w/o (4) was used to supply an earth ("ground"). Come right up to the present and the orange pair are really not necessary. Having one or both of the orange pair connected will degrade the broadband speed obtainable.

As you have three pairs in the internal, white cable they can be used to carry the filtered voice circuit to other telephone sockets in the house (using, say, the blue pair) and the unfiltered ADSL (broadband) signal to another location (using, say, the green pair), if you do not want to have the modem/router sited at the NTE5A (the "master" socket). This can be done by employing a difference EU faceplate that incorporates the relevant filtering. As this latter paragraph is going OT for this thread, I would recommend you start a new thread, if that is something you would like to consider. wink

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-May-11 08:57:01
Print Post

Just adding to that, for the OP's benefit as you already know it, extension wiring can be a star system - where the master has one pair from the faceplate feeding a junction box, and the extensions are fed from the junction box, (it sounds as though this is what the electrician is installing), or daisy-chained, where the faceplate cable feeds one pair to one extension, then another cable/pair runs from there to the second extension and so on, or a mixture of the two methods.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-May-11 09:00:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
As this latter paragraph is going OT for this thread, I would recommend you start a new thread, if that is something you would like to consider. wink
Looks OK to me smile. In threaded mode I set Collapsed Threads and 99 per page, in Flat mode I have 99 per page as well.

Both work well for me.

Just a suggestion.

Standard User burakkucat
(regular) Fri 13-May-11 18:50:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just adding to that, for the OP's benefit . . .
Absolutely, Bob. If the OP would like further advice on this aspect, I guess clear pictures of what the electrician has currently installed, along with details of how he proposes to finish the job would be the best way forward.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to