User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-May-11 13:23:33
Print Post

Do I get out now?

[link to this post]

I had bt infinity installed on tuesday, and the speeds have been ok so far, bit varied.

But today has been dire and worse than the speeds I had on o2.

I'm still within my rights to cancel, so do I get out while I can?

Spedtest result

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1556/capturecc.jpg

BT Ifinity
ROUTER:-HomeHub3
Sync 40000D 10000U

Edited by lockyatlrg (Sat 14-May-11 13:24:31)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-May-11 13:54:56
Print Post

Re: Do I get out now?

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

Have you tried comparing speedtest results with other speedtesters,and tried downloading large test files to see what the actual throughput is as speedtesters imo are not the best way of knowing what your speed is, as any test will be Dependant on other factors too

Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-May-11 14:24:29
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The speed is more or less the same via other speedtests and I'm getting the same result via nzb downloads too.

BT Ifinity
Sync 40000D 10000U

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 14-May-11 14:28:51
Print Post

this does not look right. you have a high sync, but poor actual download speed over the link.. Your upload looks ok. I would report this as fault.

IanD
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-May-11 14:31:39
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Already have, It was ok when they installed it, I think it's a case of BT not having enough bandwidth in my area, if that's the case I will cancel it and get FTTC from another provider.

BT Ifinity
Sync 40000D 10000U
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-May-11 15:30:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by lockyatlrg:
Already have, It was ok when they installed it, I think it's a case of BT not having enough bandwidth in my area, if that's the case I will cancel it and get FTTC from another provider.
As suggested something is a miss with the lack of throughput that appears to be available to you, if this is down to the bt network being congested then i doubt that switching to another supplier for what is essentially the same FTTC product as that supplied by bt retail is going to solve this poor throughput issue as it would use the same bt network, maybe managed in someways differently but if it's down to congestion lack of available bandwidth in the bt core network and then it probably won't change anything,
Roll on the day when llu providers are able to route fttc traffic via their own core network and not bt's

Standard User iand
(experienced) Sat 14-May-11 18:18:35
Print Post

I would check your phone line for "noise" and then if there are clicks etc, report this as a phone problem. As others have said moving provider to another FTTC provider using the same BT network will not be any different.

I also wonder if the BT VDSL box is actually faulty. Was the download tested by the installation engineer?

IanD
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-May-11 21:13:45
Print Post

Certain sporting events might be contributing to a general ownage of the internets today.

Or there may be some sort of localised problem in your area that should clear.

(Btw, you've spelled infinity wrong in your signature)

---
BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
25.5mbit down / 7.6mbit up

Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-May-11 21:32:18
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

The connection from me to the Cab and back to the exchange is provided by BT open-reach, which isn't causing the problem here, It the bandwidth supplied by BT retail which is.

Anyway the problem seems to have eased, as people has stated recent sporting events may of tipped the network over the edge.

I will give BT benefit of the doubt here, I don't mind slow downs, after all I'm on a contended service, but I don't really want slow downs to this extreme where it's worse than my previous provider every time it gets busy.

BT Infinity
Sync 40000D 10000U

Edited by lockyatlrg (Sat 14-May-11 21:32:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-May-11 08:23:18
Print Post

Shame tongue. That previous signature spelling was so appropriate to your question.

Just wait till the Olympics! Newnet hardly noticed them (well, throughput dropped sometimes to 40% of profile but nothing really serious, when even IDNet and Zen were getting complaints here about 500Kbps). I don't remember the BT reports.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to