User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mbames
(learned) Fri 20-May-11 11:20:49
Print Post

Very slow speeds -IP Profile through the floor

[link to this post]

This is a post on my parents behalf.

They unfortunately lives a bit in the middle of nowhere.

Current line stats are:
down: 1568kbps
up: 224kbps
SNR: 11dB
Loop att: 59.5dB

speedtester.bt.com reported this morning:
download: 99kbps
acceptable range: 50-250kpbs
IP Profile: 135kbps

When I was at home last weekend I noticed the IP profile was really low and after leaving the router on for about 24 hours it was back up at 1250kbps, which I suspect is the close to the realistic max for the line. However during this time the weather was quite nice, but shortly after the wind got up, and the line returned to its normal tricks of dropping the ADSL sync on the line, and quite often maintains a connection for only 30 minutes at a time.

I have re-sited the router, and cordless phone base stations incase they were causing problems. I have previously experimented with the router at the master/engineers socket and seen no difference in SNR/loop attenuation, so I don't suspect the internal wiring is at fault, but I'll give that a go next.

I assume the IP Profile keeps dropping because it is detecting noise/ issues on the line? The phone line passes though a Belkin surge protector and then a microfilter before it reaches the router (this configuration has been in place for several years with no issues).

I tried the BT line tester this morning - it has to be performed when the phone and internet is not in use, and that has reported there are no faults on the line, but the weather back at my parents seems ok currently.

Where do I do from here? My parents are due to go away for a few days, so I am going to suggest they leave the router plugged into the engineers socket and no phones plugged in (oh, I have swapped microfilters too), and see if the connection can be maintained when no one is in the house - so minimum electrical interference, etc.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by mbames (Fri 20-May-11 12:32:23)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 20-May-11 13:43:58
Print Post

Re: Very slow speeds -IP Profile through the floor

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
However during this time the weather was quite nice, but shortly after the wind got up, and the line returned to its normal tricks of dropping the ADSL sync on the line, and quite often maintains a connection for only 30 minutes at a time.

Rural usually means lots of overhead, and overhead means tree branches and joins.

When the wind gets up, place a call to 17070 option 2 and listen for any audible noise - my guess is that there is a dodgy external joint, or rub-through damage to the overhead cable.

The low upstream makes me suspect you'll hear noise.

Audible noise = Voice fault, so book it as such and don't mention broadband.

You can simulate windy conditions with a long stick. smile

Are there any branches against the cable that you can see?
Standard User mbames
(learned) Fri 20-May-11 14:13:12
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shtu:
When the wind gets up, place a call to 17070 option 2 and listen for any audible noise - my guess is that there is a dodgy external joint, or rub-through damage to the overhead cable.

I will suggest my parents try that, or I will next time I am home.

Audible noise = Voice fault, so book it as such and don't mention broadband.

Good idea smile

You can simulate windy conditions with a long stick. smile

Are there any branches against the cable that you can see?

There are miles of of phone cable, with endless trees. Apparently a BT man was up the pole opposite the house the other day and the phone went dead then.

I listened to the line when it got windy, but I could not hear anything too crackly, etc, wasn't aware of the number you mention above...

Thanks,
Matt

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 20-May-11 14:30:26
Print Post

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mbames:
There are miles of of phone cable, with endless trees. Apparently a BT man was up the pole opposite the house the other day and the phone went dead then.

Maybe something to that, maybe not - could be a dodgy join to your drop wire that was disturbed as he opened the joint up, or could have been that he had to temp. disconnect your line for some reason.

Give the dropwire a shake and see what happens.
Standard User keithulv
(newbie) Fri 20-May-11 15:58:11
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Tried dialling 17070
Only got a recorded message telling me that the circuit was designed as ... (quoting my phone number)
I am a Talk talk broadband and phone user
Does this matter ?
  Print Thread

Jump to