User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User coxswain
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 09:33:17
Print Post

Upgrade

[link to this post]

just upgraded to 20 meg from 8meg- i dont live very far from the exchange- i have just had my line checked and i dont have any problems on it- i have been told i should expect a download speed of 16meg to 18meg i am getting at the moment 10 meg constant - i have done the 10 day braking in period still no change my ip profile is 11076 can anyone help me on this thanks

Edited by coxswain (Wed 08-Jun-11 09:34:05)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jun-11 09:41:44
Print Post

Re: Upgrade

[re: coxswain] [link to this post]

Can you post your line/router stats from the Home Hub please. See here for help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User TJNewton
(regular) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:45:36
Print Post

I was upgraded by BT at the beginning of May and after the ten day training period I was only achieving the max, 6Mbps, that I was getting before the upgrade.

Since then I've seen it increase to 8Mbps and now its settled at 10Mbps and who knows may even get better. So what I'm saying is give it time and you may see an improvement.

BTBroadband MAX (?) DSL

Come back with that goats head Jason we need it for the soup!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User coxswain
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:52:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Download speedachieved during the test was - 11688 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12551 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1176 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 11073 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.97:23.02:62.02 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-11 15:03:27
Print Post

[re: TJNewton] [link to this post]

It changes after the training period, because that first 10 days is not about training your line to a fixed speed, the training goes on every time the modem connects.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-11 15:04:37
Print Post

That is the result from the BT speedtester, and looks perfectly fine.

What Robertos asked for was the actual sync, attenuation and noise margins from your ADSL hardware.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Jun-11 19:06:03
Print Post

Download speed of 11688 Kbps is false as it's higher than IP Profile of 11073 Kbps.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jun-11 19:24:40
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That seems to be a "feature" of the new DLM. I get the feeling the quoted IP profile is just a percentage of sync, (which we know it is but the percentage for different users seems to be different), but that there isn't a download limit imposed because of it.

In other words, maybe the new IP Profile is simply information as to the most you can expect, rather than being a cap.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Wed 08-Jun-11 20:15:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

makes sense. You'll never actually get to use the full sync due to overheads, simply put some bandwidth is used to organise the data being sent and received.

Edited by FRS_Plunderer (Wed 08-Jun-11 20:16:27)

Standard User coxswain
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 22:20:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

how to i actually get that- never done it before thanks
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to