User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chebbes
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 14:47:48
Print Post

Slow BT Broadband speeds

[link to this post]

Not sure if anyone is able to offer any advice, but have been having serious problems for over a month now with BT Broadband.
Have an up to 16MBPS package and receiving dial-up speeds since a sudden drop a month or so ago. BT's speedtester reports slow speeds and that I should contact my ISP for assistance after the third TAP3 test.

BT have sent someone out who tested the line and with their handheld tester picked up a speed of 16MBPS. They changed the master socket so that all sockets in the house are filtered and should be optimised for broadband. Have spoken to BT's call centre in India multiple times through their script and they have blamed everything from a line fault to a "hot vp", poor throughput and once said that I was downloading too much (but when they actually gave me stats for how much I'd downloaded, it was well under the limit).

I get nowhere near the speed BT pick up from my computer. Speedtester says 900kbps at best, although the line profile and sync speed from the router are OK as below.

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,187 / 16,599

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 10.27 / 92.25

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 18.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 6.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 9

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5

Line Profile: Fast

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Chris
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-11 15:02:34
Print Post

Re: Slow BT Broadband speeds

[re: chebbes] [link to this post]

Line stats look ok,

what does www.speedtester.bt.com say about the IP Profile? If that is OK i.e. around the 14Meg mark, then probably nothing to do with the ADSL line, but the network beyond that, i.e. sending engineers to visit you is a waste of time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chebbes
(newbie) Wed 08-Jun-11 15:11:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Speedtest gives a good profile of about 14MB.

So - if it is the network beyond the line, could it be related to a "hot vp" as they suggested a while back? And does anyone know what that is and how I could get BT to sort it out?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Jun-11 16:03:47
Print Post

HOT VP = HOT VIRTUAL PATH

Refers to the network leaving the exchange (which may be shared with some other providers) as being close to capacity, to the point that people are seeing congestion.

Generally if between 1am and 9am the speeds improve then congestion is the likely cause.

Can sort itself out in a few weeks or months, depends on BT Wholesale. It might also be congestion under BT Total control, i.e. how much they are buying from BT Wholesale.

In short no definitive answer possible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Fri 10-Jun-11 12:17:36
Print Post

Re:Slow BT Broadband speeds

Hi chebbes

Just seen you post and would like to run some tests on your connection to see what the problem might be, if you send your details via http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950 I will gladly look into this.

Regards David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User chebbes
(newbie) Fri 10-Jun-11 12:50:57
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Thanks to Andrew and David.

David, I'm just sending my details now. Just as an update, another engineer called today. Really helpful, had to carry out the same tests as last time and confirmed no problems at my end. Confirmed slow speed with a new router and through his laptop (so, again, no problem at my end). He spent a long time on the phone to exchange and has passed it over to them now. They did say that there was a low setting set to around 2MB which they have increased and that the problem might be sorted out in 15 minutes (this was a couple of hours ago, but the engineer said he'd leave the fault open for them to continue to check at the exchange).

At the moment, the router is syncing at about 16MB, with actual download speeds of 2MB, which is better, but on BT speedchecker still falls outside the acceptable range.

David, would be very grateful for your help - details should be making their way to you.

Chris
Standard User chebbes
(newbie) Fri 10-Jun-11 18:48:03
Print Post

Well, not sure if its related to this post, but just had a call from BT. The connection keeps dropping at the exchange which is why it can't work up to a high speed.

They are going to send an exchange engineer to fix it. Will report back when it's been done.
Standard User chebbes
(newbie) Mon 20-Jun-11 15:28:56
Print Post

Today was D-day with the BT Broadband boost people sorting out the problem between 8 and 1. No engineer has called and nothing has changed.
Phoned India at 1330 and they helpfully reiterated that someone would be with me between 0800 and 1300.

Hopefully later this week. 2 months without the advertised service is a bit of a joke along with BT missing appointments.
Standard User chebbes
(newbie) Sat 25-Jun-11 08:06:45
Print Post

Well, another visit from an Openworld engineer. Again, confirmed no problem with my home wiring, equipment or the line from the house to the exchange, but probable problem at the exchange which he wasn't able to fix but submitted a report.

"Your best bet is to submit it to your ISP so that they can change the exchange equipment - we've got a few people like you from this exchange with the same problem". Annoying as he was supposed to fix the exchange fault, and, realistically if there are several people with the same fault, why hasn't it been sorted out 2 months on. He also contacted BT Broadband who said that everything was fine and I was only receiving a slow connection on one particular website. Clearly only a slow connection on the BT speedchecker then, as that still shows 200kbps. If only. Have had to give BT a deadline to fix this as am fed up of being passed around.

BT might have been split into several different companies doing different things, but no-one seems to talk to each other. The engineer today was only told that we had a fault and nothing of the nature of it or what any other engineer had done.

So, in a nutshell, still frustrated, still slow and now looking at other options.
  Print Thread

Jump to