User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nicky
(regular) Wed 08-Jun-11 17:18:46
Print Post

BT Infinity and OpenVPN

[link to this post]

Hello all

I wondered if any of you had experiences of using OpenVPN (or any other VPN service) with BT Infinity? My area is enabled at the end of the month and I am thinking of switching to Infinity. I use a VPN provider some of the time and a program which uses OpenVPN to connect to the USA which enables me to watch programs on Hulu etc. Im currently on an 8Mbit connection and it works fine. Ive read forums and the BT Infinity usage policy and it makes not mention of VPN throttling - just the p2p/torrent throttling during peak times. Some posts on the BT forums mention slow/unusable VPN speeds but others don't.

Do any of you use VPNs and do BT throttle the speed at all? Im scared to switch in case the speed is throttled to something unusable. I would have thought that they could not throttle it since the tunnel is encrypted but I suppose they could know that it is VPN traffic somehow and restrict the speed?

Any advice would be appreciated

Nicky
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Jun-11 20:35:46
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity and OpenVPN

[re: Nicky] [link to this post]

I would imagine tens of thousands of BT staff use VPNs to connect to the BT intranet and would be surprised if VPNs are throttled.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-Jun-11 22:27:53
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

You could be right, but that is rather a special case and cannot be guaranteed to be generally applicable.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Nicky
(regular) Thu 09-Jun-11 10:22:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's a big gamble signing up for an 18 month contract with BT and reading some of the horror stories in this forum and the BT forums. I suppose, like many, I'm attracted by the price but looking at other providers especially IDnet.... they seem pretty competitive. Yes there is an activation fee and you have to buy your own router but they claim no throttling and the usage caps seem quite generous.

RobertoS - it says in your sig that you are an IDnet customer..... are they any good speed/performance wise and what router would you recommend?

Nicky
Standard User wwwebber
(committed) Thu 09-Jun-11 12:56:20
Print Post

Read any forum and you'll find horror stores. The IDNet forum is no different.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Jun-11 13:21:29
Print Post

IDNet are fine for speed except just after midnight for an hour or so. That is when their off-peak starts so the "relatively" heavy downloaders kick in then. You can see the latency effect, though not the speed effect, on my live BQM - see my sig.

I paid the year up-front to get one month discount. Made sense to me.

I'm using a Buffalo NFiniti Airstation WHR-300Nv2 from Amazon. Very pleased with it. A few others here have got it on my recommendation, and nobody has threatened to kill me yet. Not about that, anyway!

Setup using the GUI Wizard is wisest. Ignore CD and don't try manual initial setup.

It's only 100Mbps ethernet, but there is a Gb version. However there has been a slight problem with that - according to posts here it ships with some wierd non-Buffalo OS by default, and apparently for OR FTTC you need to flash it to the (supplied I think on the CD) native Buffalo one equivalent to the one I have. A search on here should find the details.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ichilton
(newbie) Thu 16-Jun-11 09:35:39
Print Post

Hi,

Not sure what your provider uses but you can run OpenVPN on any port, so I think it would be very difficult for them to throttle without throttling everything.

Ian

Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Fri 17-Jun-11 21:53:42
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

dont kid yourself DPI means that yor isp allways "knows what you are up to

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
  Print Thread

Jump to