User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pokerdaz
(newbie) Mon 13-Jun-11 14:16:52
Print Post

Switched from Virgin to BT

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I just switched supplier from Virgin Media National broadband to BT and it is the first time I have ever changed. I was under the impression that my connection would at least be the same speed as I had a BT line which Virgin purely adopted, but it has dropped considerably. I see no evidence of a 10 day 'training' period and wonder why this would be?

I used to get fairly consistent 2.4 Mb download (2.8 Mb connection) and sometimes higher, but now it is 1.75 Mb @ 2.4 connection. It is quite amazing how much affect it has on streaming. BT advised me that I would get speeds at least equal to those from Virgin as there was no line change, so I wonder if I can cancel under a cooling off period?

Cheers,

Daz
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 15:01:24
Print Post

Re: Switched from Virgin to BT

[re: Pokerdaz] [link to this post]

post your router stats (sync speed, attenuation db, SNR db, error rates/connection time).

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pokerdaz
(newbie) Mon 13-Jun-11 15:12:58
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

Hi,

I guess this is what you are referring to. It hasn't changed since install. IP profile is 1750 kbps from the BT speedtester

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 3 days, 00:47:09
Downstream: 2.344 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 9.8 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 55.5 dB / 29.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.2 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 269886 / 253
CRC Events (Down/Up): 414 / 61

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:47:23
Print Post

.. and do those stats change if you reconnect the router in the test jack of the master socket, all else removed ?

(experienced) Mon 13-Jun-11 17:49:33
Print Post

So your currently sync'd at 2400kbps, If that sync speed proves stable you should end up on an IP profile of 2000kbps.

With that error rate, syncing at that speed with an SNR margin of 9db seems the likely target, you could try resyncing during the day time when the SNR is at its highest and that may give you your best sync speed but it'll have to hold that through the night for a few days before your profile changes (if it sync's high enough to warrant a change).

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pokerdaz
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 15:44:43
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

How can I switch off the router when its training - does this not screw with the settings?

FYI = I have a BT master filter socket actually fitted by BT and another filter fitted to the line before it gets to the master socket (also done by BT). This was carried out under Virgin Media as I got frequent diconnections and extremely slow speeds. This was found to be a 'hot' card or something in the exchange and became stable about 6 months ago, from which time I got a steady 2.4 GB download with a connection just under 3.0 GB.

There is no other equipment as it is a second dedicated line originally installed for dial-up.
(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 18:37:26
Print Post

You'll be okay with a 1 off resync - imagine you had a USB modem - that would go on and off everytime your PC did. Just make sure the SNR is nice and high when you do though.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Pokerdaz
(newbie) Tue 14-Jun-11 18:48:23
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply FRS_Plunderer. How do I ensure SNR is high - is it best to do it during the day when all are at work or school?
(experienced) Tue 14-Jun-11 20:13:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by Pokerdaz:
Thanks for the reply FRS_Plunderer. How do I ensure SNR is high - is it best to do it during the day when all are at work or school?

Watch the numbers.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Jun-11 22:17:27
Print Post

Do it in daylight, preferably in the morning.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to