User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cscsonline
(learned) Thu 23-Jun-11 09:14:53
Print Post

New to BT Infinity

[link to this post]

After a week with BT Infinity, I'm pleased with the speeds I'm getting. 35Mbps downstream and 8Mbps upstream.
The wireless from the BT Home Hub 3 sometimes drops off on my iPad and iPhone so I shall probably get an Airport Extreme for wireless but other than that I have no complaints.

cscsonline on an Intel iMac using
BT Infinity 35Mbps
using BT Home Hub 3 and Openreach VDSL modem
formerly on Be Unlimited, Zen 8000 Active, O2 Premium
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 22:21:01
Print Post

Re: New to BT Infinity

[re: cscsonline] [link to this post]

Me too and getting about the same (36ish down and 8ish up). HomeHub3 was OK, but I wasn't too happy about it having port 161 locked open by BT and so used that as a good excuse to revert back to my favoured option of a Netgear - in this case a nice new WNR3500L - and very pleased with it I am. Good speed (the same as the Hub) and good wireless range (although I suspect the Hub had slightly better in non full 300 'n' mode).
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jun-11 07:39:11
Print Post

[re: Garyilka] [link to this post]

FTTC has been great apart from the Homehub 2 which is gash, best sticking with a third party router!

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tonym
(member) Wed 29-Jun-11 22:39:21
Print Post

[re: cscsonline] [link to this post]

Infinity just installed today, speedtest.net showing in peak time using Powerline adapters:
37.47Mb/s down and 7.68Mb/s up, keeping my fingers crossed it stays there abouts

tonym
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 01-Jul-11 19:23:46
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

what powerline adapters are you using, the 85M ones or the 200M ones

IanD
Standard User tonym
(member) Fri 01-Jul-11 19:32:32
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by iand:
what powerline adapters are you using, the 85M ones or the 200M ones

Devolo Dlan 500AV Plus , they are more expensive but with the possibility of Infinity Speeds increasing, thought I might as well go the whole hog. I want to stream movies from my hardisk to the TV via WDTV live .

tonym
Standard User Rroff
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jul-11 13:26:49
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tonym:
Infinity just installed today, speedtest.net showing in peak time using Powerline adapters:
37.47Mb/s down and 7.68Mb/s up, keeping my fingers crossed it stays there abouts

Just wait til a bunch of people ruin it for everyone by leaving torrents going 24x7 at full speed up/down crazy tho the new BT traffic management system in theory should reduce the impact of this with the slow braking mechanism.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
<needs updating>
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Jul-11 14:01:53
Print Post

[re: Rroff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rroff:
Just wait til a bunch of people ruin it for everyone by leaving torrents going 24x7 at full speed up/down crazy tho the new BT traffic management system in theory should reduce the impact of this with the slow braking mechanism.

I believe torrents are throttled very aggressively during peak time, so should not be a problem.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User tonym
(member) Wed 06-Jul-11 15:09:31
Print Post

[re: Rroff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Rroff:
In reply to a post by tonym:

Torrents (p2p) are heavily throttled on BT and have been for quite a while as all the torrent users have found out.

All they had to do, was do a little bit of research before they sign up and they would have found out about it. As it is, I have a good laugh reading the forums of disgruntled torrent users.
Maybe they should think about a seedbox.

Torrent throttling is right at the BOTTOM of my list of priorities concerning Broadband in general

tonym
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Wed 06-Jul-11 17:10:04
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

They are fromaround 3pm ish weekdays to midnihgtish and weekends fromaround 11am till midnightish

i use torrents alot and the managfement system suits me fine just leave em running overnight when nobody is using the net.

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to