User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-11 10:46:18
Print Post

CLI - Caller ID - on a Voyager 2500V

[link to this post]

My occasional series of swapping routers about continues...

Well, I've had a Tybe B Homehub 2 in for a few weeks, and while it was OK (no echo on VOIP, support for multiple DynDNS hosts), it lost me 500k of sync, which is the difference between a 1500k and a 1000k profile out here.

It meant that the VOIP broke up if I was using the internet at the same time as a call, and that iPlayer and such were *really* borderline for buffering.

So, onto the "latest" - a Voyager 2500v.

Looks good so far. A 1728 sync, nice quick operation (DNS seems faster especially), and overall a feel of a more pro-oriented device - not all the setting are hidden away from view, there's a telnet interface, etc.

Only one DynDNS host, I can live with that.

All phones ring on either PSTN or VOIP.

But. There's always a but!

Caller ID on PSTN doesn't work. Now, doing some digging, it appears this is because the phones are isolated from the PSTN line until after the caller ID info is presented. A bit of digging found this,

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/2963079-voyage...

Which sounds like someone out there has the answer. smile I've PMd Mr dapjukebox, but if anyone else knows the way to fix this, I would be very grateful. Don't worry, I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jun-11 18:26:03
Print Post

Re: CLI - Caller ID - on a Voyager 2500V

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Have you tried a 2-wire ? Nice high and stable sync on long lines. Not sure about your caller ID issue, but I'd seriously suggest giving the above router a go.

Standard User dapjukebox
(regular) Fri 24-Jun-11 21:32:25
Print Post

Hi shtu, got your pm.
I haven't used my 2500 for a while, it didn't work too well on O2's adsl2+ but i still have it lurking somewhere.
I have a feeling i have a copy of the circuit i knocked up somewhere so i will try to find it but if not i can dig out the router and make a new circuit diagram for you.
It was quite simple to buid and integrate into the router and it works 100%

I'll get back to you via pm tomorrow with some more news.

Dave

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-11 22:33:45
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Have you tried a 2-wire ? Nice high and stable sync on long lines. Not sure about your caller ID issue, but I'd seriously suggest giving the above router a go.

Oh yes, tried one years ago, recommend them, got two in the cupboard. smile

Yep, stable sync, nice and high (not significantly different from the 2500v or HH2A though), but has one failing.

An incoming PSTN call wouldn't ring the handsets connected to the router. I tried all sorts to get that to work, to no avail.

As is, the 2500v is working well, (call quality is notably better than the HH2 once you tweak the bandwidth up for VOIP), holding sync good enough for a 1500k profile, hanging in with a 5dB margin at the moment, and tweakable with DMT too. Handsets ring for both voip and pstn.

Edited by shtu (Fri 24-Jun-11 22:37:12)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 24-Jun-11 22:34:50
Print Post

[re: dapjukebox] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dapjukebox:
I'll get back to you via pm tomorrow with some more news.

Dave

You absolute star. Thanks Dave. laugh
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 27-Jun-11 10:19:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by shtu:
A 1728 sync.

Only one DynDNS host, I can live with that.

Caller ID on PSTN doesn't work.

Quick update,

Tweaking to a 3dB margin gives an incredible 2048 sync on a roughly 9km long line. I'm childishly pleased with this, and will see how it hangs together over the next few days. (long-term visitors may know that I originally moved out to the sticks and got next-to-nothing, I'm now on for a 1750k profile)

Multiple DynDNS hosts do work. Separate the domains with a comma, eg,

domain1.dyndns.org,domain2.dyndns.org

and it works fine.

Dave has kindly supplied details of his PSTN modification, so I'll get some bits in and give it a bash.

Edit - typo.

Edited by shtu (Mon 27-Jun-11 11:21:02)

Print Thread

Jump to