User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Fri 08-Jul-11 04:33:10
Print Post

BT INfinity bridgeing

[link to this post]

I've got my BT INfinity install arriving Monday - can't wait to finally move away from 2Mb (due to an aluminium backbone in my area) - but thinking aloud here .... and being unfamiliar with the kit I was wondering ...

Will I be able to move the hub to a.n.other location within the house or does it have to be near the master socket? Secondly, how easy is it to bridge the homehub to other wi fi routers and if possible what makes / models or is it just anythat do bridging (so would my dd-wrt flashed router do?)?

Currently my adsl router is in my study and worst case scenario I'll can run a cat5 cable to my PC, but will happily survive off a wi-fi connection until I fix it permanantly.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 08-Jul-11 07:30:17
Print Post

Re: BT INfinity bridgeing

[re: stubbyd] [link to this post]

I use a WRT54G to bridge to a Buffulo router but before that it used to bridge to a Homehub2 no bother. Not the fastest link in fact considering switching to a wireless N card.

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-11 08:54:45
Print Post

[re: stubbyd] [link to this post]

The Openreach modem has to be near the master socket, or on an Openreach Data Extension cable, which on all installations so far has been free on Infinity. Whether is still is I don't know, as I think there was some Openreach short-term deal for ISPs on that ending at the end of June. I could be wrong about the expiry though.

Some engineers will accept pre-installed CAT5/CAT6 as suitable, and install the modem at the extension it carries, others will move move the Master to that point and convert the existing master to an extension.

Tea/coffee and biscuits are highly regarded.

I know very little about bridging, but I don't think there is anything special about the Home Hub stopping it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 08-Jul-11 08:55:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stubbyd
(learned) Sat 09-Jul-11 00:11:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

> Tea/coffee and biscuits are highly regarded.

I always offer anybody that works in or on my house a drink and biccie. smile

I guess I'll wait until Monday and find out what happens and what I can do when it does. Thanks for the replies folks.
  Print Thread

Jump to