User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mooty
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 08:44:59
Print Post

BT Infinity Installation

[link to this post]

Hi All

I've just ordered BT Infinity on my new house's line.

Can anyone tell me what changes with regards to the telephone line? Do I get a new fibre optic line installed into the property in addition to the standard line?

My property is rented, so want to make sure if any holes are being drilled etc...

Thx
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Jul-11 08:49:49
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Installation

[re: mooty] [link to this post]

It comes down your existing line from the cabinet. It is only between the cabinet and the exchange that anything changes.

A BT engineer will need to visit you and will install a VDSL modem and a BT Home Hub.

For more detail see this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User mooty
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 08:53:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Does anyone know if BT charge anything to switch it back to a non infinity line after I leave, or is there any reason as a tenant that I'd need to do that? Just want to make sure my bum is covered...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Jul-11 09:01:39
Print Post

That's an interesting question in its own right, that I haven't seen discussed. Technically I think maybe nothing has to be done, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a charge anyway, as below.

Isn't it an 18-month or 24 month contract? Plus any "Cease" of broadband, other than a migration at the same premises or a "House Move", is chargeable by most ISPs, and even some house moves are charged.

Moving house with Infinity would also of course only be possible if the new address had Infinity available. What BT T & Cs say about if it doesn't I will leave to you to look up. I expect they will count a switch to ADSL2+ as maintaining your contract though.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 17-Jul-11 09:02:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Jul-11 09:03:49
Print Post

Re holes. They may wish to wall-mount the modem in the premises. There have been a lot of modem failures due to overheating and that helps cool them.

Standard User mooty
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 09:21:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks again for the information!

Lastly (I think) is there any way I can get access to BT Openzone before my installation? I'm moving to a new property with zero internet for 2 weeks... getting access to BT Openzone might help me get through these tough two weeks smile
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 10:33:03
Print Post

The BT/OR Engineer will need to know where you want the Master Socket mounted. If your PC is going to be located in a different place, they will run a Data Cable upto 30-Metres in length from the Master Socket and terminate this to the Modem. Then the Home Hub connects to the Modem with an Ethernet cable (BT supply this) and it looks like its 2 or so metres long.

You will then need another Ethernet cable from the Hub to your PC (you have to supply this).

You will also need 2 Mains sockets, one for the Modem and the other for the Hub.

Good Luck!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Sun 17-Jul-11 17:47:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by mooty:
Lastly (I think) is there any way I can get access to BT Openzone before my installation?

If your BTinternet email address is active, you can check your BT Fon status here. If you can access BT Fon, you can also access BTopenzone hotspots throughout the country as part of your BT Broadband service.

~~~~~
Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User mooty
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 21:28:11
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
The BT/OR Engineer will need to know where you want the Master Socket mounted. If your PC is going to be located in a different place, they will run a Data Cable upto 30-Metres in length from the Master Socket and terminate this to the Modem. Then the Home Hub connects to the Modem with an Ethernet cable (BT supply this) and it looks like its 2 or so metres long.

I assume if I don't want it moved they will just stick a new faceplate on the existing master socket?
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sun 17-Jul-11 21:49:50
Print Post

I assume if I don't want it moved they will just stick a new faceplate on the existing master socket?
Correct. smile

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to