User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fozzie55
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-11 15:35:56
Print Post

Moving from O2 to BT, will speed stay the same?

[link to this post]

Hi
I am waiting to change to BT on Monday, with O2 at the moment. Just got the BT I-Plate, put it on and even before waiting my speed has gone from 2Mb/s to 3Mb/s. My upload speed is 0.9mb/s.

Will that upload speed stay the same with BT? Most stats I see from BT customers show uploads seemed to be maxed at 0.48Mb/s.

Cheers
Standard User Wheel_Nut
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 03-Aug-11 15:50:21
Print Post

Re: Moving from O2 to BT, will speed stay the same?

[re: fozzie55] [link to this post]

If your upload rate is 0.9Mbps then I suspect that you are on LLU service with O2.

You need to check with Samknows whether your exchange is ADSL2+ enabled because otherwise, you will be put on ADSL Max which will almost certainly be slower.

..........................................................................................................
"When not prompted by vanity, we say little." - La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)

PlusNet BBYW Pro - Lite Customer from Feb 2009
NewNet Customer 2007 - Feb 2009
PlusNet Customer 2003 - Feb 2007
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Aug-11 16:07:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by fozzie55:
Most stats I see from BT customers show uploads seemed to be maxed at 0.48Mb/s.
That's cuz many are still on 20CN exchanges with BT IPStream ADSL(1) Max, which has max. Up Sync of 448 Kbps.

You'll only get higher if your exchange is 21CN WBC enabled. It would have been unwise to leave O2 LLU for BT on a 20CN exchange.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fozzie55
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-11 16:31:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The Exchange is 21CN WBC enabled. The phone line will be the same, does BT put you on something slower?

I had to move for BT Vision smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Aug-11 17:52:43
Print Post

If the target noise margins are kept the same then ADSL2+ from one ISP and another should be very similar.
In short - it all depends on what the BT Wholesale DLM system makes of your line.

To be honest if only just managing 2 to 3Mbps connection speeds, then BT Vision is borderline. Need 2.5Mbps to support a BT Vision on demand stream and have 0.5Meg left for internet access.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User epyon
(regular) Wed 03-Aug-11 19:21:19
Print Post

its 832kbps actually.

BE*Unlimited
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Aug-11 19:37:19
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Strictly speaking, that's only on ADSL Max Premium, which most users don't pay extra for, Actually!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 21:12:39
Print Post

In fact with BT Retail I think it is only available on the Business products, unless it has changed with the revamp I haven't yet looked into.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Aug-11 21:25:54
Print Post

No way can I find anything on BT.com about non-Infinity upload speeds except "up to 1.5Mbps". Which has to be twaddle as ADSL2+ cannot sync that high on Annex A, and can do far more on Annex M. Which would be pointless if capped at 1.5Mbps frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User fozzie55
(learned) Wed 03-Aug-11 22:19:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies. I wait until Monday then. I suppose if the speeds are not up to BT Vision standards I may be able to cancel. Sky Sports is down the aerial for now lol.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to