User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lexden16
(learned) Thu 11-Aug-11 14:13:43
Print Post

Considering BT - a few questions

[link to this post]

My exchange is due to be FTTC-enabled towards the end of this year and I am looking at options. I have been with my present ISP for over 5 years and whilst they offer FTTC, a £28 per month package would only give me 30GB download during peak times of 9am to midnight (120GB total). First year FTTC costs would also be £130+ higher. Traffic shaping is not an issue on my ADSL2+ service and my ISP has UK support. I am not into online gaming, I do not tweak SNRs and I am not into torrents. Two questions:

a. Am I wrong to consider a move to BT Infinity?

b. Given that current offers expire at the end of this month, should I transfer to BT ADSL2+ now or sit back and wait for my cabinet to be enabled?

My current ADSL2+ connection rate is 17.5Mbps. As it has taken the 'system' 5 months to get my speed up from 10 to 17.5Mbps, then I would not wish to do anything to put this at risk.

Grateful for any thoughts.
Standard User greenglide
(member) Thu 11-Aug-11 16:36:55
Print Post

Re: Considering BT - a few questions

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

I think it depends on who your present ISP is!

I, personally, would not move to BT under any circumstances - BT Infinity is not the only FTTC product on offer although I believe they are all, at present, based on the same BT Wholesale product the BT Retail sell as "BT Infinity".

Since your CAB is not yet enabled the date can move and a 17.5Mbps connection is well above average.

What you "should" have done is change to BE a long time ago (if available in your area) as they don't have a "system" regulating the speed.

I would sit tight and wait. I am doing that (21Mb/s down) to see what is on offer when my CAB gets enabled (installed but not enabled). and waiting for the big players to start selling FTTC products - it will eventually happen!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Now with BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload! Never happier!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Aug-11 18:12:59
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

The FTTC product he describes for his current ISP is IDNet Home Plus Fibre.

I'm on Home Starter Fibre and very pleased.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-11 19:45:52
Print Post

It depends on what you expect your usage to be.

Most people I imagine under-estimate this. When you get the faster speeds there is a tendency to use it more. If you have other people or kids using it the usage can increase further.

As for a) Nothing wrong. Been using it for over a year myself and it's fine for everything.
b) Hard to say. If you're on IDNet then they'll not be able to match BT's pricing any time soon by the looks of it. I'd hold fire until FTTC is enabled and then survey the options then.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 11-Aug-11 22:24:24
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Coming from O2 "unlimited" LLU with no throttling or traffic management, I narrowed my choice down to Infinity or IDNet Home Fibre Starter, which is their entry-level.

It has sufficient allowance for me not to have to worry, the price , (especially as I paid for 12 months up front so got a month free), is similar to BT. It's a 12-month term, static IP included which being honest only benefits me by guaranteeing tbb BQM, and the CS I have experienced so far is first class.

If I had needed to go to the next IDNet package up, I would probably have chosen BT on cost grounds. I would have been worried about the CS if needed, and unhappy about the 18-month term.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Aug-11 23:22:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Don't think the price is anywhere near BT if we're being honest.

Do they supply a router? If not, how much was it?
£48 for activation too.

---
Click here to see Comparison of FTTC ISPs
Which FTTC ISP do you use?

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 08:05:47
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

frown
I am being absolutely honest!

I gave my reasons for my choice, that's all, and also pointed out that at a higher expected usage I would probably have chosen differently.

My router is fine. Cost £23.99. My small extra first year cost was the price I was prepared to pay for the difference I perceive between the two companies, having had a terrible experience with BT Broadband in the past - mainly down to the underhand , (that's the only possible word for it), way upgrades to the awful Yahoo systems and suchlike were introduced. Perhaps that doesn't happen any more, but I do see occasional references to Yahoo. And a friend had to get out from Yahoo mail a couple of years ago as it just totally jammed up on him.

We are these days seeing a few Infinity slowdowns in the evenings. Not on IDNet that I know of, though I had a problem a couple of days ago. The Olympics should be fun. I think it was the Commonwealth games that screwed BT and even Zen, whilst my Newnet connection was quite happy.

Second year cost is very close.

Standard User lexden16
(learned) Fri 12-Aug-11 08:43:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
frown
I am being absolutely honest!

I gave my reasons for my choice, that's all, and also pointed out that at a higher expected usage I would probably have chosen differently.

My router is fine. Cost £23.99. My small extra first year cost was the price I was prepared to pay for the difference I perceive between the two companies, having had a terrible experience with BT Broadband in the past - mainly down to the underhand , (that's the only possible word for it), way upgrades to the awful Yahoo systems and suchlike were introduced. Perhaps that doesn't happen any more, but I do see occasional references to Yahoo. And a friend had to get out from Yahoo mail a couple of years ago as it just totally jammed up on him.

We are these days seeing a few Infinity slowdowns in the evenings. Not on IDNet that I know of, though I had a problem a couple of days ago. The Olympics should be fun. I think it was the Commonwealth games that screwed BT and even Zen, whilst my Newnet connection was quite happy.

Second year cost is very close.

I didn't mean to light any fires when I posted this question. By moving to BT I could save £130 in year 1 but I agree that in year 2 the cost difference is marginal. What isn't marginal in both years is the difference between 30GB usage and unlimited. Currently, I am on a 40GB ADSL2+ package and it would be great if IDNet offered something similar on FTTC. Unfortunately, their home packages jump from 30GB to 50GB (Peak) at an increased annual cost of £79. Consequently, the pendulum swings firmly back in BT's favour

As the majority of users of forums such as this are people asking questions or are people with problems, then I assume that the majority of BT customers are satisfied with their package, price and service.
Standard User nelix01
(member) Fri 12-Aug-11 12:19:04
Print Post

I have been on BT Infinity for 3 months now. Very happy with the service so far. No disconnections so far. Donít use Torrents or other P2P so no issues with throttling.

We have multiple devices connected, PC. Laptop, BT Vision, Iphone etc, all running at the same time with no interruptions and everyone happy.
If I was in your position, it would all depended on what the estimated speeds of FTTC are likely to be and if you could really do without extra bandwidth until a new contract with current company expires!

Does IDNet automatically roll you into a new contract when your current one expires?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 12:51:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by lexden16:
I didn't mean to light any fires when I posted this question.
smile
I don't think you did. Just a slightly unfortunate choice of words by orly that at the time made me prickle, as though I had been arguing against BT rather than impartially.

The rest of your reasoning closely follows mine. It's only at the starter level IDNet is really worth considering for thee and me I think.
As the majority of users of forums such as this are people asking questions or are people with problems, then I assume that the majority of BT customers are satisfied with their package, price and service.
Two things about that. First, it isn't a valid statement because the vast majority haven't a clue about their broadband, in the same way as they haven't a clue about how a car works.

But second, what is really noticeable is the number who have switched to BT for FTTC for the reasons you will, and been pleasantly surprised. The complaints are almost non-existent. In fact off-hand I can't recall a serious one.

I think a lot of it could be down to high current capacity per customer - they and/or Openreach are on record as being disappointed at the number of sign-ups, and technically speaking the hugely better DLM on FTTC. Though the new one on WBC looks to be far better than the old one as well.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 12-Aug-11 13:02:01)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to