User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User balham
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-11 15:27:09
Print Post

Why I'm not signing up for BT Infinity

[link to this post]

I got close to signing up for BT Infinity (moving from O2) as the deal seemed good and it includes BT OpenZone. However, I read somewhere (not on their site) that you automatically have to make your box available as a WiFi hot-spot for public use (by BT Fon users). It is apparently possible to disable this by going online and resetting everything (& presumably losing setting info) but you then lose your access to BT OpenZone. There is nowhere in the marketing/sign-up materials that mentions all this and I also searched the T&Cs (all the 4point text stuff) and couldn't find anything about it.

I find this a contemptuous approach to dealing with customers and demonstrates a worrying trend amongst large companies (I've just found out that LinkedIn, under the guise of providing more privacy control to the user, has automatically opted-in its 100 million users into the social advertising program without informing them of the change beyond a blog post).

The lack of transparency that BT has demonstrated will not make me want to use them again - and I wonder whether this merits a complaint to trading standards.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 15:43:45
Print Post

Re: Why I'm not signing up for BT Infinity

[re: balham] [link to this post]

I thought opting in or out of BT Fon was very simple. There is even someone posted on here that he opts in when about to travel, and out when home-based.

As I understand it, on ADSLx it takes 500kbps maximum off your download speed when being used. Whether it takes more on an Infinity connection I don't know, but there's an awful lot more to play with.

Bear in mind that the people likely to utilise yours would be few and far between, unless you live on a High Street or similar.

I'm sure it is all covered somewhere on their site, as a couple of years ago I read all about it.

It also seems a bit rich that you should want to benefit from Openzone/FON connections but deny others the use of yours tongue.

As Infinity is by far the best value FTTC product so far, you may be cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't think FON is such a big deal at the providing end.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Aug-11 15:48:10
Print Post

Don't think anyone has connected to our "hotspot" in the year and a bit since we joined.

Considering BT Openzone isn't exactly the cheapest thing in the world normally it's not exactly a big issue. You offer to give up a fraction of your bandwidth in exchange for free wifi which normally gets quite costly. Unless you live in the middle of a town or city I don't imagine anyone will ever be connected to you. And if they are, what exactly is the major problem?

For your info it's really easy to disable it from the Home Hub settings and it uses a different channel from your normal wi-fi.

As for transparency - it's made perfectly clear. Took me all of 20 seconds to browse to the appropriate page. See: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

What is BT Fon?
To get your free Wi-Fi you need to be a member of BT Fon

Can't really be in simpler english than that.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Fri 12-Aug-11 15:50:07
Print Post

You opt in or out here:-

http://www.btfon.com/

I don't think BT are acting unfairly at all. It's all made quite clear during the sign up process.

I was automatically opted out when my Infinity was installed a couple of months ago. Whether you opt in or not is up to you, but as Roberto says it seems a little off to want to make use of the bandwidth of all those opted in but not be willing to contribute yourself.....

Still - you use it (or not) as you wish should you go for BT in the end.
Standard User nelix01
(member) Fri 12-Aug-11 15:53:05
Print Post

Hi Balham,

Full T&C's

As per the OP's, I dont believe that I have had a single person connect to my hub either!!

Edited by nelix01 (Fri 12-Aug-11 15:57:14)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 16:03:16
Print Post

Ummm

On the BT Home page I just entered Openzone in the Search box. The item numbered "3" is questions and FAQs about that. A third of the way down that page is a link for more info on BT FON, and that has a link to the Opt-out method, which is far simpler than what you seem to have read somewhere.

I see little "contemptuous" about that, but contempt would certainly be what a complaint about it received from Trading Standards.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 12-Aug-11 17:11:34
Print Post

If you don't use the Home Hub then thats the end of being used as a Hotspot smile

Use your own router and then they cant do anything about it.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 12-Aug-11 23:24:12
Print Post

dry your eyes and shut the door on the way out tongue Talk about going overboard, its easy to opt out in fact you do not even have to use their Homehub! As

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 13-Aug-11 10:03:35
Print Post

I never used fon when I was with BT, in fact I made sure it was off, I don't agree with it being switch on as default now.

at the moment we have not got any fibre, but I have been told that BT is going to update our exchange either the end of this year or next year, I believe it when I see it. But I also will not be using BT infinity, because I don't like BT. i also doubt I will use any bibre service until the prices and usage comes to a level I think is good value.

My 4megabits does me ok,

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Aug-11 10:58:03
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I don't agree with it being switch on as default now.
I don't think it always is - I know what the Fon site says, but I rejoined BT (after many years) just a couple of months ago and my Fon was disabled by default.........
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to