User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Schrodingers_Cat
(experienced) Wed 17-Aug-11 05:54:46
Print Post

All Sorts Of Odd Router Behavior...

[link to this post]

Hmm. My connection has gone mad. Router is BT Home Hub v1.5

It all started about 2pm yesterday. After months of very stable connection ( including the upgrade several weeks ago ).....all of a sudden my router was disconnecting quite literally every half an hour, on the hour and at half past.

That went on for 12 hours or so....then at 2am connectivity was lost completely. I restarted the router numerous times, but always got the flashing orange light and no connection.

That went on for several hours. No connection. Then, about 20 minutes ago, having exhausted every option I could think of, gone through several filters, changed the RJ11 cable, etc etc......I just happened to open up Internet Explorer and see if any web page opened. A fat chance. But....I got the Home Hub message saying no connection. On the page is an option 'Connect to Internet' ( that I had tried earlier but it failed ). All of a sudden I get a message....." Congratulations....you have now set up your Home Hub and are conected ".

I didn't actually 'set up' anything. I've no idea why simply asking the router to connect, via a web page, should make the conection work when 50 million reboots of the router didn't. No idea if the problem is fixed or it will still disconnect every half hour.
Standard User aerostar2
(newbie) Wed 17-Aug-11 07:19:48
Print Post

Re: All Sorts Of Odd Router Behavior...

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

It could be that there were problems at your exchange.

Edited by aerostar2 (Wed 17-Aug-11 07:40:38)

(experienced) Wed 17-Aug-11 08:03:19
Print Post

[re: aerostar2] [link to this post]

Hmm.....it's all very odd.

I keep getting disconnection, with it going to the solid orange logo. It just remains stuck like that......only option I have is to restart the router.

When the router restarts, I just get endlessly the flashing orange light. Yet if I go into the Home Hub page and tell it 'connect to internet'....immediately the light turns green and I am connected.

Then after another half hour, the light goes to solid orange again and I am disconnected.

Also, while this nonsense has been going in, the connection speed ( which already rose when I had the 'upgrade' ) has suddenly risen from its normal 3.5mbps up to 6mpbs.

Edited by Schrodingers_Cat (Wed 17-Aug-11 08:07:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 17-Aug-11 09:06:32
Print Post

[re: Schrodingers_Cat] [link to this post]

What happens to the noise margin, read immediately then every 5 minutes after getting it to work?

I'm guessing it is starting at 3dB and declining until disconnection. Does RouterStats (Lite) run on it? That is worth a go, sampling every 5 seconds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 17-Aug-11 09:07:29)

(experienced) Wed 17-Aug-11 11:56:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Engineer has tested the line and there's nothing wrong with it. Almost certainly a problem with the router itself.
  Print Thread

Jump to