User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User weaselgilham
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-11 09:18:32
Print Post

Transferring BT Dial Up email account to BT Broadband

[link to this post]

I have yesterday migrated to BT Broadband. I have been with a few other ISPs over the past 5 years but have always maintained my old BT dial up account name as my main email address (by remembering to make a dial up connection every 2-3 months).
However, now I am with BT I wonder if it is possible to tranfer this dial up account name as one of my sub-account email addresses so that I don't need to bother dialling up. I have phoned up about this 3 times, but I get put through to an asian call centre and get fobbed off with poor or incoherent advice. I hope this isn't representative of the customer support experience I can expect as I am in an 18 month contract. frown

NEWNET ADSL Max
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 18-Aug-11 09:57:10
Print Post

Re: Transferring BT Dial Up email account to BT Broadband

[re: weaselgilham] [link to this post]

If you have a residential broadband package then yes it can be done. You just need to find the right team! You do realise that if you log on to the web access for that account you can set up an auto forward too.

If you are on a Business broadband service then unfortunately it cannot. I have a business account and have not dialled up for about a year or two and it still works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-11 17:19:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply. I am heartened to hear that you think this is possible. As you say, I will now have to keep trying until I find the right people to speak to. crazy

NEWNET ADSL Max

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 18-Aug-11 17:41:49
Print Post

I had to move a number of people from dial up onto ADSL as it became available. Until then they all had standard abcd.efgh@btinternet.com addresses which were primarily used for personal purposes and as a company we wanted to help them if we could.

I actually spoke with the internal BT Product Manager at length and he confirmed that it was posilble for residential accounts but not business and I did at one time find a link on BT.com.

The BT forum at http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/bd-p/Oth... is answered by UK based staff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(committed) Thu 18-Aug-11 17:45:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

That's definitely worth a go - thank you for your help.
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Fri 19-Aug-11 20:03:41
Print Post

short answwer yes as long as its a residentail account just call 0800 800 150 select the billing options and anyone there who is able to deal with a bb querie should be able to sort it for you they need to "downsell " your current primary emaill address associated with your BT Broadband then "upsell" your old dial up address they just need the right tools. This information is accuarate of March this year cos i used to be able to di it before i left.

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Sat 20-Aug-11 12:56:04
Print Post

Re:Transferring BT Dial Up email account to BT Broadband

Hi Weaselgilham,

I should be able to help you get your email address link to your Broadband account. Please could you send me in your details using http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950 and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks

Paddy,
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
(committed) Sat 20-Aug-11 16:18:16
Print Post

Re:Transferring BT Dial Up email account to BT Broadband

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

Thanks for your response - I have done so.
(committed) Sat 20-Aug-11 16:23:21
Print Post

[re: geordiekris] [link to this post]

Thanks - I might try that if I get nowhere with BT_Care.
On the face of it, it doesn't seem to be a complicated request. But I just don't seem to be able to make the call centre staff understand what it is I want. To say that there are communication difficulties would be a polite understatement! crazy
(committed) Mon 22-Aug-11 19:09:36
Print Post

All sorted in 48 hours thanks to BT_Care. Many thanks to them. However, I still have to say that it should have been easier to do this without fishing around on broadband forums. The use of Asian call centres does nothing for customer relations, especially when you are unable to make the staff understand the problem you have.....
  Print Thread

Jump to