User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 12:53:40
Print Post

Query re Openreach FTTC Modem - One for Zarjaz?

[link to this post]

What is the best way of disconnecting an Openreach FTTC modem please?

With ADSLmax, whichever way I do it - switching off on my DrayTek, switching off at mains socket; my BRAS always seems to suffer. Even requesting a reboot from the DrayTek control panel has upset it.

So just wondering the best way for switching off the OR modem - if there is one?

frown

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold
DrayTek Vigor 2800V

Standard User Garyilka
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 13:04:11
Print Post

Re: Query re Openreach FTTC Modem - One for Zarjaz?

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Not sure if this helps or not - but I've switched mine off couple of times by pulling the mains plug out as I wanted the socket for something else temporarily - and each time I've plugged it back in my IP profile has returned to the 38717 it has always been.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Fri 26-Aug-11 13:21:45
Print Post

I've unplugged the Modem to change over mains plugs on a 4-way distribution socket.

Also have had a few mains outages of upto an hour.

Didn't notice any speed degredation at all once the Modem was powered up again.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 26-Aug-11 16:19:01
Print Post

I have power cycled mine a few times - primarily to see if I can get back to the full sync! But each time I try the sycn comes back very close to where it was before power cycling.

1. Remove power connector
2. Remove line
3. Remove Ethernet connection to router

4. Wait a minute (or longer)

5. Reinsert power connector
6. Wait about 30 seconds until LED stops flashing (reboots itself with no incoming VDSL)
7. Reconnect phone line
8. Wait until DSL light stops flashing
9. Reconnect Ethernet

The reason for that is it allows the modem to be fully operational before connecting the line - and same with Ethernet. Just old fashioned practice - although modem systems can probably cope, I was taught to let one stabilise before connecting the next.

Using this on my FTTC and other ADSL connections has never resulted in any significant degradation/reduction in sync speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 16:30:58
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Interesting sequence there. I well remember having to keep to a tried and tested sequence when I was using either a GSM phone or a INMARSAT-A terminal for access to the C&W Easylink service using my Win95 laptop; luckily I used a DOS based program and it was text characters only, which made for a shorter/cheaper transmission.

Recently found that on rebooting my DrayTek V2800 that it would not let access the user interface on http://192.168.1.1 unless it was connected to the phone line, odd to say the least.

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold
DrayTek Vigor 2800V

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Aug-11 09:49:05
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Used your steps and the profile on BT speedtester went up to 23317 from 23179

In other words I gained 0.5% laugh

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-11 14:41:05
Print Post

Sorry Clive, only just spotted this thread, it's almost as if it has my name on it !!! grin

I'm with MHC, disconnect the router, then power down the VDSL modem. In reverse, let the modem sync up before reconnecting the router.

I must admit, it seems not to have any detrimental effect on my circuit however I do it. I do tend to leave it on 24/7 as a rule.

(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-11 17:39:44
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks Zarjaz and MHC

I hope to go FTTC end of September subject to Hawarden being ready. Although I will be going with A&A I thought best to ask here since BT Infinity seems to be the best known product and of course the kit is identical.

Now if I could only fathom out why OR have spent resources marking up the location of their cable ducts (paint marks on pavement). The fibre between cabinets does not pass this way, so cannot be for that. I'm hoping that OR are either going to fit a brand new cabinet + FTTC cab, or FTTP like at Chester South - the next exchange area to the east from Hawarden. However I think both of those wishes are unlikely frown

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold
DrayTek Vigor 2800V

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 28-Aug-11 20:17:18
Print Post

What's your postcode? I can check the spreadsheet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 28-Aug-11 21:07:02
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

But you did not lose anything! And that was the point ... not to gain but to stop significant losses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to