User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pgregg
(newbie) Sat 27-Aug-11 13:46:28
Print Post

Computer says no

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I live about 1 mile from a small village, and my line length has been measured at 11km (to the exchange). It is a small miracle that I am even getting the 512kbps that I am. I used to have satellite, but BT performed lots of "things" to convert me to ADSL.

BT and DETINI have been funding the roll out of FTTC and the 3 cabinets in the local village are now enabled. A "neighbour" 500 yards towards the village has managed to get "Faster Total Broadband" installed and is getting 15-20Mb now.
I know both his and my line go to the same cabinet (on the exit from the village to our road) as all the lines are overhead - so we can follow them. My line length to the cabinet is approx 1 mile.

However, ever time I phone up BT (must have tried 8-10 times now) all I get is "no you can't get Infinity or Faster Total Broadband". Is there anything I can do? Worst case, can I order Infinity with a brand new line on the condition that the line is for faster internet?

Thanks
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 14:14:56
Print Post

Re: Computer says no

[re: pgregg] [link to this post]

You could be too far from the cabinet for the BT guesstimator to produce a speed estimate fast enough to allow BT to enable your line for FTTC.

Maybe try one of the other ISPs (as FTTC isn't only available from BT - plenty of other ISPs also offer the product, they just don't call it 'Infinity' as that's a BT brand name).
Maybe Vivaciti or ADSL24?
They're both a bit more expensive than BT Retail's Inifinity package, but they will be more likely to enable a longer line.
You could also try IDnet and Plusnet.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Aug-11 15:58:12
Print Post

What does this checker say about it?

BT Retail Broadband is reluctant to take people on for TTC on long lines, because they make the stats look bad - which is why nobody can have Infinity on a lower than 15Mbps estimate. I haven't seen it before on their slower package, but perhaps I have now.

There are many other suppliers, so post what that checker says.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Aug-11 16:02:45
Print Post

What does the BT wholesale line checker say for your line?

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

*edit woops RobertoS just beat me to it lol

BT Infinity
~200m from NILDW PCP21
40000/10000 Sync

Edited by BuckleZ (Sat 27-Aug-11 16:03:09)

Standard User pgregg
(newbie) Sat 27-Aug-11 16:10:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks: Both the retail and the wholesale checkers say the same thing:

For Telephone Number 0289756xxxx on Exchange BALLYNAHINCH

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive fixed 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Additionally, your line may be able to support an estimated ADSL speed between 1 to 2 Mbps using Broadband Enabling Technology. A solution created specifically for communities who have very long telephone lines. If you decide to place an order, an appointment might be required where an engineer may need to visit your premises who will, where possible, supply the service.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 500Kbps; typically the line speed would range between 250Kbps and 1.5Mbps.

Your exchange is planned to have ADSL2+ by 31st December 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 1Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3.5Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 3Mbps and upstream line speed of 700Kbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that dates and exchanges are indicative and subject to change.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.

Edited by pgregg (Sat 27-Aug-11 16:15:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Aug-11 16:34:52
Print Post

Phone ADSL24 and Aquiss. See how they respond.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Aug-11 17:45:12
Print Post

We can take your order no problem. We've successfully activated lines showing a 500k estimate on FTTC!

I would recommend a 2mb upload package though as anything under 15Mb BT wholesale will not allow ISP's to place the 10mb upload option on lines estimates at < 15Mb downstream.

www.adsl24.co.uk

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:03:44
Print Post

Hi pgregg,

We would have no problems getting FTTC installed for a reported low estimate line (those below 15Mbps).

I'm aware of at least a couple dozen installs that we have done that were reported under 1Mbps only to find that actual sync exceeded the reports once live.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Home Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/home-broadband.php
Business Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/business-broadband.php
Aquiss Partner Scheme : http://www.aquiss.net/partners.php
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 28-Aug-11 09:31:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A number of the smaller players should be willing to help. BT are unlikely to give you a chance in this instance.

See the spreadsheet linked in my signature below for a more complete view of your options and then ring/email around and see which will take a punt with you.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User pgregg
(newbie) Tue 30-Aug-11 22:40:13
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone. Aquiss and ADSL24 are certainly more expensive given I expect I'd want about 60-80GB download capability per month (which is impressive going on a 512kbps line - and I've done it in the past backing up my Colo machines).

I'll hold out a while longer on BT.

BT Broadband: 512kbps
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to