User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jamesgooner
(experienced) Fri 09-Sep-11 07:46:19
Print Post

Thinking of leaving Virgin for BT Infinity?

[link to this post]

Morning all, I'm currently with Virgin on there 50MB service & thinking of leaving them as i don't download as much i used to & don't want to try there 30MB service in case i go over what I'm allowed in peak times, would like to know if anyone has left Virgin for
BT Infinity & if there happy with service or anyone who has had the service for a while if they could say if its stable & reliable, i went on BT speed checker site & its says i should get around 30MB down & 7.2MB up, id be happy with that as long as i know service is reliable, also could someone tell me what the download limit is, even though it says unlimited, also my master phone socket isn't near any power sockets will that be a problem.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-11 09:21:24
Print Post

Re: Thinking of leaving Virgin for BT Infinity?

[re: jamesgooner] [link to this post]

I couldn't order Infinity as my D/L speed was predicted as <15Mbps. However, I opted for the 'With Fibre' option and am getting reliable (very reliable) D/L of around 25Mbps.

I don't D/L that much, but my 'Option 3' is unlimited (subject to fair use, etc).

BT / OR will need to install their Modem and you will need to connect that to their (your) Home Hub with the supplied Ethernet cable (I think mine is around 2 Metres long). I assume you are talking about an Infinity FTTC connection.

Both Modem and Hub need a Power connection. However, from the Master Socket they can fit a 'Data Extension Cable' of up to 30 Metres in length, so your Modem can connect on the end of this in a suitable location.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
(experienced) Fri 09-Sep-11 09:36:49
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
I couldn't order Infinity as my D/L speed was predicted as <15Mbps. However, I opted for the 'With Fibre' option and am getting reliable (very reliable) D/L of around 25Mbps.

I don't D/L that much, but my 'Option 3' is unlimited (subject to fair use, etc).

BT / OR will need to install their Modem and you will need to connect that to their (your) Home Hub with the supplied Ethernet cable (I think mine is around 2 Metres long). I assume you are talking about an Infinity FTTC connection.

Both Modem and Hub need a Power connection. However, from the Master Socket they can fit a 'Data Extension Cable' of up to 30 Metres in length, so your Modem can connect on the end of this in a suitable location.

Thanks for that G3UZF yes i am talking about Infinity FTTC connection good to know that they can run a 'Data Extension Cable' from my master socket as my PC is in my bedroom but no where near 30 Metres away at tops id say 3 Metres away, do you mind if i ask how long you have had you service & option 3 is unlimited is it, i already have a BT Line so hope that would save them time on install.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-11 10:14:52
Print Post

Hi

Had the FTTC connection for around 3 Months now. Broadband now a vast improvement over the old Exchange connection (rural village and a long way from the Exchange).

Option 3 is unlimited.

BT / OR did a great job with my install. They will probably phone you on the day of the install to tell you your phone and broadband connection will be out for 10 minutes or so while they move the wires around in the cabinet.

Then, they changed the Master Socket, put in about 10 Metres of Data Extension (It's Ethernet cabling by another name), screwed the Modem to the wall and ate most of my Jaffa Cakes!

Should all go swimmingly; good luck.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
(experienced) Fri 09-Sep-11 11:07:10
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Thanks for that, i will ring Virgin tomorrow when I'm off see what kind of deal they can do for me on there 30MB connection, if its not as good as BTs ill cancel & place an order for BT Infinity unlimited, i already have BT Line, done a speed check on there website & its saying 30MB DL & 7.2MB upload, if i get that & its unlimited ill be happy.i cant see anywhere on there site about download limit. also is there a cooling off period after install.

Edited by jamesgooner (Fri 09-Sep-11 11:09:20)

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-11 11:30:20
Print Post

as far as i no,on bt infinity FTTC as soon as you are connected you are tied into your contract and you cant get out...no cooling off period,though i am not 100% sure about that.maybe someone else can confirm this for you..

the reason i posted was to say, if you dont download much then i cant see how the virgin media 30Mb service wont be suitable for you...it has quite a healthy download limit..

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tm-table-su-large.jpg

you can see on the chart there that you can download up to 15Gb per day during peak times and unlimited out with that..

you can upload up to 1.75Gb during peak times and unlimited outwith

hope this helps you wink

Virgin Media 100 My Broadband Ping
(experienced) Fri 09-Sep-11 11:39:40
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by djfunkdup:
as far as i no,on bt infinity FTTC as soon as you are connected you are tied into your contract and you cant get out...no cooling off period,though i am not 100% sure about that.maybe someone else can confirm this for you..

the reason i posted was to say, if you don't download much then i cant see how the virgin media 30Mb service wont be suitable for you...it has quite a healthy download limit..

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/tm-table-su-large.jpg

you can see on the chart there that you can download up to 15Gb per day during peak times and unlimited out with that..

you can upload up to 1.75Gb during peak times and unlimited outwith

hope this helps you wink

Thanks for that, but was just thinking if i wanted to download during peak hours 15GB might not be enough & wouldn't want to go over my limit & then have my speed cut for 5 hours, with BT Infinity unlimited i wouldn't have to worry about that, i hope.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-11 11:46:47
Print Post

yea you make a valid point.....15Gb is quite a large amount though....and all they do is cap your speed for a few hrs if you go over..

sorry i cant help as far as knowing if infinity is unlimited or not.. wink

il have a quick look and see if i can see anything..

edit: http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bt-infinity-f...

there is some information on the above link about the infinity fup...

Edited by djfunkdup (Fri 09-Sep-11 11:49:55)

(experienced) Fri 09-Sep-11 11:52:59
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Thanks for that djfunkdup ill check your link.
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-11 11:56:00
Print Post

np your welcome..wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to