User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stuarttunstall
(newbie) Sat 10-Sep-11 11:04:39
Print Post

Poosible change to BT Broadband

[link to this post]

Hello

As I am currently looking at saving a few pounds, I an looking at the option of changing my ISP to BT Broadband, inc the Telephone.... as a package, but I need some help with a few questions if anyone can help:

1. Can I use any router with BT Total Broadband?

2. If I go for the new "Home Hub" can I use DMT Tool? if so which version? (This is needed as I live in a village on a long line, so without I get about 1MB, with upto 2MB wink) If I can use any router this will not be an issue so much.

3. I have heard that the speed is better with BT Broadband, a couple have mentioned this to me, is this a myth? will/should I get the exact same speed as now?

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart Tunstall
Standard User Wheel_Nut
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 11:40:09
Print Post

Re: Poosible change to BT Broadband

[re: stuarttunstall] [link to this post]

1) Yes you can. However, you won't have the Openzone and Fon SSIDs broadcast so you can't use the FREE unmetered access should you exceed your allowance.

2) I haven't seen any reports of DMT compliant firmware for the BTHHs.

3) My subjective view is that DLM works a bit better in coming back down after an incident on the line. With PlusNet, it remained stuck at the high level but with BT, it comes back down after a couple of weeks. I also think that the BTHH syncs at a slightly higher rate than the ST585V7 but then the 585s are not exactly the fastest out there.

..........................................................................................................
"When not prompted by vanity, we say little." - La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)

PlusNet BBYW Pro - Lite Customer from Feb 2009
NewNet Customer 2007 - Feb 2009
PlusNet Customer 2003 - Feb 2007
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Sep-11 12:52:06
Print Post

[re: Wheel_Nut] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Wheel_Nut:
3) My subjective view is that DLM works a bit better in coming back down after an incident on the line. With PlusNet, it remained stuck at the high level but with BT, it comes back down after a couple of weeks
Definitely subjective, or some other factor was involved.

The DLM is BT Wholesale and no different at all whichever BT Wholesale-based ISP you are with.

So I'm not saying what you found about the effect of line problems isn't true, but I am saying the reason you give is.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 10-Sep-11 12:52:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Wheel_Nut
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Sep-11 14:19:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, I did say that it was my subjective view ..... but, I have observed that there are consistently observed differences between the Sync speeds of the HH3 and the two examples of the HH2 Type A that I have.

I have observed that the HH3 syncs at a low(er) speed when first switched on but if restarted after an hour or so, syncs faster than the HH2 ever did. This behaviour is not the same on the HH2 which seems to come up at its best rate the first time.

Then there is the HH2 Type B which I haven't taken out of the box yet.....

..........................................................................................................
"When not prompted by vanity, we say little." - La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)

PlusNet BBYW Pro - Lite Customer from Feb 2009
NewNet Customer 2007 - Feb 2009
PlusNet Customer 2003 - Feb 2007
  Print Thread

Jump to