User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lozzd
(learned) Thu 15-Sep-11 04:16:42
Print Post

A couple of Infinity questions

[link to this post]

I'm thinking of getting Infinity when I move, after getting an estimated 10mbit on Bethere/o2, who I've been with for 4 years very happily without traffic shaping or slow downs. The infinity estimate is 35mbit, which is nice.

I just have one really large concern:
Traffic shaping. BT openly admit (fair enough for that) they restrict speeds on certain protocols like P2P, which isn't the biggest issue to be honest; I just am not sure I'm comfortable with any ISP that traffic shapes.
So: Has anyone actually noticed any slow down at peak, P2P or otherwise? Or can you generally max out the connection at any point?

A secondary question:
I saw a picture somewhere of a funky new BT faceplate because of the way the connection comes in. Does this mean you can only put the modem on the master socket? When they install infinity do you have the option of using it in any socket? My study is upstairs so want the modem and router etc in there to keep it out of the way.

Other than that, it seems most people in the other Infinity threads are quite happy with the service, and it'd certainly be nice having so much upload speed.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Sep-11 23:37:54
Print Post

Re: A couple of Infinity questions

[re: lozzd] [link to this post]

Can't answer for p2p/torrents/etc. (don't use them) but for regular downloads and Usenet I have noticed the odd peak-time slow down.
It isn't much (maybe a 10-20% loss of speed) and doesn't usually last long (maybe half an hour, or so) before speeds go right back up to around 37Mbps, but it's not a particularly welcome sign (given our exchange has only been enabled for five weeks, there surely can't be local congestion already).

Hoping BT actually increase capacity as time goes on (as an 18 month contract is a long time).

For me; it's great (as I came from a 4.5Mbps ADSL2+ connection, so Infinity would have to be really useless to be slower than that).

As for the modem location; BT will install it on an extension (they can just make that socket the new master) but I don't think the engineer will want to push the signal round every socket in the house (so you can pick and choose the modem location at random).
They tend to want to fit a new master socket face-plate and that needs to be the single location of your modem.

Ade

vDSL2 FTTC Infinity with BT
DL Sync 40Mbps
UL Sync 10Mbps
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Sep-11 00:22:55
Print Post

Torrents are the only thing I've noticed that slows but I can still get a fairly decent speed out of it even at peak.

Usenet always runs max. Always.

My usual speeds on speedtest.net rarely fluctuate much from the average.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 16-Sep-11 15:42:50
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Can't answer for p2p/torrents/etc. (don't use them) but for regular downloads and Usenet I have noticed the odd peak-time slow down.
It isn't much (maybe a 10-20% loss of speed) and doesn't usually last long (maybe half an hour, or so) before speeds go right back up to around 37Mbps, but it's not a particularly welcome sign (given our exchange has only been enabled for five weeks, there surely can't be local congestion already).

Hoping BT actually increase capacity as time goes on (as an 18 month contract is a long time).

hold yer horses smile one would think your looking for a failure tongue Remember the old days of ADSL and what the cost was back then, I`m getting huge amount more for the same money now and yes slowdowns were common place back then as well. I think some folks need to remember exactly what they are paying, leased lines don`t come cheap!!

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User lozzd
(learned) Tue 20-Sep-11 12:03:37
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies.

I'm glad they can pick a socket to install, that's good news.

It's also the least of my worries at the minute. I can't convince BT to actually consider looking in to installing. The joys of having a new house.

The only address at my post code was the one house that already has a phone line.. the sales office, which obviously has been there for a while (brand new housing development) so they've had their phone a while.

Their phone number and address shows as being able to get 40mbit Infinity. I phoned BT yesterday and mentioned my address was missing, they said they would add it and I could try again in 24 hours.

This morning I tried again and it claims I could only get 6mbit regular broadband, no Infinity. All of the other addresses on the road have appeared too, they all show as no Infinity, apart from the sales office.

This, of course, means they won't even look in to the difference.. I was just told "it's likely you're on different exchanges" despite there only being one exchange for this small town. No idea how long I'll have to wait before they do a proper check to see if I can actually get it.

I would just order the phone line, which presumably would allow them to check easily if I could receive it or not, but then it costs a lot more to order the two separately. Rather annoying because I wanted to get this ordered before I moved in, since I work from home so an internet connection is kinda vital.
Standard User TheMarf
(learned) Tue 20-Sep-11 16:39:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by lozzd:
Their phone number and address shows as being able to get 40mbit Infinity.

So did mine, post installation speed was barely 15mbit. Turns out the cable from cabinet to my home was aluminium rather than copper, severely limiting speed.

Find out if your cable run is copper or aluminium before committing smile
Standard User lozzd
(regular) Thu 22-Sep-11 00:32:31
Print Post

[re: TheMarf] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TheMarf:
In reply to a post by lozzd:
Their phone number and address shows as being able to get 40mbit Infinity.

So did mine, post installation speed was barely 15mbit. Turns out the cable from cabinet to my home was aluminium rather than copper, severely limiting speed.

Find out if your cable run is copper or aluminium before committing smile

Ouch! Was that a new build estate? Aluminium is cheaper than copper?
Standard User TheMarf
(learned) Thu 22-Sep-11 09:15:07
Print Post

No, my house is about 25 years old.

The engineer who attended to check out my issues said the ally cable must be quite old as the joiners used along the line were the old "blue bean" type. These also are detrimental to the VDSL signal.

He replaced a few of the blue beans and my speed has improved, I now get around 16mbit which is 2 megabytes per second actual throughput. I got myself a discount after all this as BT decided I had been missold the product.

So yes, moral of the story is check what kinda cable is there by askign BT before you sign up to avoid disapointment.

FYI 15mbit is the installation cut off, so if its below 15mbit when installed the engineer is supposed to check with you that this is ok and report that back to base. 12mbit is the bare minimum, so if its below that level they will not install.

Edited by TheMarf (Thu 22-Sep-11 09:16:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Sep-11 13:21:47
Print Post

New build i.e. new now should not have Al

FTTC even with Al should be better than ADSL2+, since the line is still shorter

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheMarf
(learned) Thu 22-Sep-11 13:40:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is, I was getting 8-10mbit with ADSL2+, but still 16mbit is a damn sight lower than the 25-40mbit that I was quoted when I signed up. smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to