User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spikester84
(regular) Sat 17-Sep-11 13:38:18
Print Post

Bt Infinity Highlands?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

I used to be with BT Broadband, and never had any serious problems with them. But since I live in the North of Scotland(Lossiemouth) we are pretty limited on our Internet frown

Our exchange got TalkTalk LLU, and the only reason I changed to them was for the faster speeds and better ping(as I love gaming)

I have noticed that Nairn are getting FTTC BT Infinity at the end of this year, and was wondering if anyone knows if BT will be upgrading exchanges around that area, as I live about half an hour away from Nairn?

Thanks

Steve
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Sat 17-Sep-11 13:55:07
Print Post

Re: Bt Infinity Highlands?

[re: Spikester84] [link to this post]

Put your telephone number into the BT Wholesale Checker and see what it says.

If nothing comes up for you, then tell us your Post Code and someone can give you a more definitive answer.

Standard User Spikester84
(regular) Sat 17-Sep-11 14:11:28
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

I check Samknows alot, and nothing is up there about my exchange. BT just say I can get there up to 8meg ADSL for now. Will BT be trying to upgrade more and more exchanges to Fibre Optic, similar to what they did with ADSL Max?

Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 17-Sep-11 23:30:18
Print Post

Don't feel too left out. I literally live in the shadow of this (I was just gazing out my kitchen window over the flats out front at the red light on the top of the crane with the moon looming below it with Jupiter just to the right - it all looked rather pretty)... Anyway, there's no Infinity here and on the last check I was told it 'might' be available by the middle of next year, which is about the same response as we got at work in Queens Park (the posh end of Kilburn), where 'broadband' is a somewhat laughable term for the service received and it doesn't matter that there are no end of LLU services. None of them are any better than the others.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User ccxo
(member) Sun 18-Sep-11 00:27:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spikester84:
I check Samknows alot, and nothing is up there about my exchange. BT just say I can get there up to 8meg ADSL for now. Will BT be trying to upgrade more and more exchanges to Fibre Optic, similar to what they did with ADSL Max?

Steve

BT's rollout goes till 2015, the Scottish goverment are still to decide what they do with their share of the BDUK funds from the UK goverment, so you may see a few schemes when they appear.

Be worth getting in contact with you're local CC, as they may already have plans for the area etc.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ccxo (Sun 18-Sep-11 00:27:44)

Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:08:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spikester84:
I have noticed that Nairn are getting FTTC BT Infinity at the end of this year

No they aren't - they are due to get ADSL2+ from February 2012, according to the Wholesale checker.

~~~~~
Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sun 18-Sep-11 20:52:53
Print Post

[re: Jaggies] [link to this post]

Nairn is on the Openreach list of `coming soon' exchanges for FTTC (Forecast March 2012)

Edited by Ribble (Sun 18-Sep-11 20:53:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Sep-11 10:17:30
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Under current plans around 66% of homes in the UK will have access to Infinity, thats without any BDUK or other funding.

If an exchange has ADSL2+ from BT via 21CN then more likely to see FTTC, though not a pre-requisite

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Mon 19-Sep-11 20:49:21
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Nairn is on the Openreach list of `coming soon' exchanges for FTTC (Forecast March 2012)

That's clearly a mistake - the Wholesale checker shows that (or February 2012 at least) is the date for Nairn to get ADSL2+. It has a population of around 8000, so highly unlikely it is a priority for FTTC.

~~~~~
Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User gmackay1903
(newbie) Mon 19-Sep-11 22:08:52
Print Post

Nairn will indeed get FTTC at the end of this year with ADSL2+ to follow at the start of next.

A number of exchanges in the Highlands and Islands will get ADSL2+ as part of BT's programme to rollout ADSL2+ to 90% of the population.

HIE (Highlands and Islands Enterprise) are currently out to tender for superfast broadband across the Highlands and Islands as part of the BDUK pilot project announced last year. This is due to be awarded in the middle of next year. The initial phase of this project is to to rollout to at least 50 settlements across the Highlands and Islands and then expand that within a 20km radius from the initial towns that are rolled out.

Brendan Dick, Director BT Scotland and MD of BT Regions is presenting to Highland Council this Wednesday.

This may include plans for the area, but not holding my hopes that for that just yet. I suspect the telecoms companies will be waiting to see how the HIE project pans out.

Edited by gmackay1903 (Mon 19-Sep-11 22:10:12)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to