User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joely
(newbie) Sun 18-Sep-11 00:14:04
Print Post

BT Infinity for Business - what are my options?

[link to this post]

All,

I hope someone can help.

I run an IT business from home and recently migrated away from BE in order to take advantage of FTTC which is now available on my line. I moved to Zen but having previously been on an unlimited service I discovered I'm a reasonably heavy user (17th of the Month and already at 70Gb usage).

I think I could possibly shift some of my usage off peak but that doesn't help with BE's offering and so I'm considering BT Infinity for Business with the extra £5/month for 'unlimited'.

I heavily use VOIP SIP trunks so low-latency reliable connectivity is important (I've had trouble since switching to Zen).

Some questions:
1) Can I get at least one static IP?
2) Has anyone had any luck getting a contract shorter than 24months?
3) Do I have to use the BT Hub? I have a Draytek 2820n which has a second Ethernet WAN interface but not sure if BT supply a separate VDSL modem as with the resold service.
4) Is there actual support? I can look after myself up to the point where the problem isn't at my end so value having someone at the other end who knows what they're doing!

Anything else I should look at?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 18-Sep-11 00:40:40
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity for Business - what are my options?

[re: joely] [link to this post]

Some questions:
1) Can I get at least one static IP?
2) Has anyone had any luck getting a contract shorter than 24months?
3) Do I have to use the BT Hub? I have a Draytek 2820n which has a second Ethernet WAN interface but not sure if BT supply a separate VDSL modem as with the resold service.
4) Is there actual support? I can look after myself up to the point where the problem isn't at my end so value having someone at the other end who knows what they're doing!

1. Yes
2. Can get 12 month contracts - slightly more expensive than 24
3. You use teh BT modem and can then plug in what ever you want - but keep the BT router as that is te preferred device if support is needed.
4. Support is on 0800 or 0845 number - 24 hours perday and is mainly based in Scotland. The support is limited to ensuring the line is working correctly, configuring the router, static IP, BT VOIP ... You have responsibility for your own network or non-BT VOIP. Support is normally good.

I can max out the connection at 32Mbps at any time of the day. Am never throttled - sometime a little congestion kicks in but pobably not local and outside BTs control, there is no limit on total data transferred (with most packages).

Am I happy? Yes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Sun 18-Sep-11 00:43:38)

Print Thread

Jump to