User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WestUK
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 11:52:00
Print Post

Moving to Infinity

[link to this post]

I have decided to move to Infinity.

Most of the posts I have read are very positive so here is hoping my experience will be the same.

I have a concern in that the posts seem to highlight problems with the kit i.e. Home Hub and modem.

Does the modem really have to be wall mounted, will an open desk not suffice?

Are there any other things I should be concerned about

Thanks
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 28-Sep-11 12:24:14
Print Post

Re: Moving to Infinity

[re: WestUK] [link to this post]

My HH3 has worked since installation in June this year. Has needed a couple of re-boots in that time when I couldn't access the Broadband connection.

My first Modem died after a day and was replaced. All been well since then.

BT / OR wall-mounted the Modem without being asked. Some posters have said it overheats, but mine is hardly warm. There may have been an issue with earlier ones.

People have said desk mounting the Modem is fine for them.

You can have up to 30 Metres of 'Data Extension Cable' installed by OR from the Master Socket to where the Modem is located.

Don't forget, Modem and Hub need a separate mains plug connection.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Sep-11 13:02:13
Print Post

I have had one of the original Openreach modems since the 8th April, it sits on the top of a bookcase and has so far not given any trouble. I don't use the HH3 as I already had a dual band Apple Airport Extreme. (There is so far no-one else on the 5GHz band around me that I can see).

I do see a drop in speed in peak time, maybe around 1Mbps but when you are getting 35/36/37Mbps it doesn't really matter. I don't regret moving to Infinity at all. (My opinion may change if anything goes wrong though as BTs C/S is not the best).

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Wed 28-Sep-11 14:34:52
Print Post

I ditched the OR modem and HH3 in favour of the Vigor 2750n as I needed a lot of the features that router offered.

Strangely enough the last lot of Infinity T&C's no longer mention that you have to use the OR modem just that they state they will provide you with working equipment.

So hopefully a wires only product may be coming soon.

Lots of people have also suggested cable routers to use with the OR modem which also work very well.

If you do need CS the mods on the BT.com forum provide an excellent service and get most things sorted a lot quicker than the call center does.

I have no regrets moving over to infinity and I get a solid 40/10 and should hopefully keep that with cross talk as I have a ton of signal to noise ratio in hand.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Sep-11 15:13:38
Print Post

Very little to complain about. I'm probably one of the longer term infinity users having got it in July 2010 and we've been using the modem (the older SP06 version) and the first infinity hub with no issues.

They do not need wall mounted at all. We have the modem turned up on it's side as the vents are around the rim and this should in theory make the air flow through it a bit easier but it lay flat for months with no problem.

Very occasionally the modem will lose sync or the hub will get itself in a tizzy but we've had no real downtime at all aside from a few brief disconnections when the firmware updates (it does this automatically)

You've probably read the thread down the page where I ask for peoples opinion of Infinity. If not, it's a good read. Most people seem more than happy.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Sep-11 16:23:40
Print Post

You do not have to stay with BT Retail to get the FTTC broadband service.

There are other providers for the fibre service.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User WestUK
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 16:57:41
Print Post

Thanks for all the input here.

I know there are other providers but I am taking the opportunity to have everything under the one provider.

Just awaiting my MAC code then onwards and upwards
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Wed 28-Sep-11 19:23:57
Print Post

Been happily on Infinity since April this year. Although there are known problems with the OR Modem, I have not had any issues with either it or the Hub3.

Print Thread

Jump to