User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spikester84
(regular) Wed 28-Sep-11 22:33:24
Print Post

21CN?

[link to this post]

Hi guys

I have a question, if your exchange is upgraded to 21CN does that mean it will be BT's ADSL2+ service, up to 24meg?

The reason I ask is that I live in Lossiemouth in the Scottish Highlands, and have noticed that Buckie, Forres and Hopeman are all getting upgraded to 21CN(according to samknows) next month, and Lossiemouth and Elgin have no date for this, despite the fact that we are right next to these places!

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Sep-11 22:44:49
Print Post

Re: 21CN?

[re: Spikester84] [link to this post]

BT can only enable at a certain rate, and is only stating 90% of households to have acess to ADSL2+, so smaller exchanges may not get it, without external funding assistance, or never if an alternate technology is delivered to that area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Wed 28-Sep-11 22:45:02
Print Post

Yes.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spikester84
(regular) Wed 28-Sep-11 22:54:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
BT can only enable at a certain rate, and is only stating 90% of households to have acess to ADSL2+, so smaller exchanges may not get it, without external funding assistance, or never if an alternate technology is delivered to that area.

Hopeman is right next to Lossiemouth, and much much smaller, also Elgin is bigger than all the above places combined, and again right in the middle of Buckie, Forres and Hopeman, yet nothing on SamKnows about them getting upgraded as well.

I have to say i'm a little dissapointed, that Lossiemouth doesn't have a date for this yet, as I would jump at the chance to change to BT's ADSL2+........... the only hope I have is that since Lossiemouth is next to all these places, hopefully it will be next in line for an upgrade.

Steve
Standard User lelboy
(regular) Thu 29-Sep-11 11:22:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

All these years and I never realised you were American, Andrew.
Oh, you're not?
It just puzzled me, that being so, why you used "alternate" when it doesn't mean what you intended it to. I first heard the American corruption of the word "alternative" in a Monkees record of the 60's "Alternate Title" it was called - when in reality they meant, as you did, another and not the same.
I know it seems a little picky, but I'm sure Bob (and yourself, I hope) would agree, we don't need any more American influence in this country. They've bastardised the language and given us rap, gangsta and god knows what else.
It has to stop......
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 29-Sep-11 13:56:40
Print Post

So far the exchange i use the largest in the county of Powys WNNN has been ignored for 21cn with much smaller exchanges in the county having dates. This also applies to Aberystwyth in Ceredigion which suprises me the most due to its importance of Goverment and Education level. In the Welsh case, the smaller exchange the better!

BT I GIVE YOU MY LOVE AND ALL YOU WANT IS MY MONEY.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 01-Oct-11 07:30:48
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/alternate

When used as a noun, it means: an alternative.

Having said that, I would have written 'alternative' rather than 'alternate'.

This video will probably be right up your street: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnGPgCVJUsI

Anyway, I'm not de-railing this thread any further smile

Now on <aaisp.net>
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Oct-11 11:09:50
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mixt:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/alternate

When used as a noun, it means: an alternative.

Having said that, I would have written 'alternative' rather than 'alternate'.

This video will probably be right up your street: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnGPgCVJUsI

Anyway, I'm not de-railing this thread any further smile
Go to here.

An American dictionary is hardly reliable on this point, though note that even that has the grace to relegate it to the bottom of its initial definitions.
Farlex, Inc. is an independent, privately held company based in Huntingdon Valley, PA, offering online reference products. Our flagship properties The Free Dictionary ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Oct-11 13:22:44
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

You shoot yourself in the foot by quoting a US dictionary in a discussion about UK usage.

Even Kindle's New Oxford American Dictionary limits its definition of alternate as a noun to "A person who acts as a deputy or substitute" only. (@Roberto: Also at bottom cuz nouns often are)

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Sat 01-Oct-11 15:12:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Good catch, but Google search is American, and that was one of the front page results.

Seems there is no escaping them! wink

Now on <aaisp.net>
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to