User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jud9e
(newbie) Mon 10-Oct-11 19:31:56
Print Post

BT Infinity Homehub

[link to this post]

So what is this black magic that allows for intelligent scanning of your home and overcomes thick Walls and other forms of interference thus ensuring a brilliant strong wireless signal?

Or is it just snake oil and it offers nothing beyond any other 802.11n wireless router.

Currently an O2 wireless box II struggles to provide a download speed of 1.1mbps when 'at the router' offers 11.5 Mbps
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Oct-11 19:48:32
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity Homehub

[re: jud9e] [link to this post]

11.5Mbps (Mega bits per second) very poor if sat next to the router, I was testing G kit at 15Mbps some six years ago

The Hub - automatic channel hoping to avoid congestion from other networks, multiple antenna's and an N signal.

So if in in a foil backed plasterboard room, probably little difference in range.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Oct-11 22:44:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by jud9e:
So what is this black magic that allows for intelligent scanning of your home and overcomes thick Walls and other forms of interference thus ensuring a brilliant strong wireless signal?

Or is it just snake oil and it offers nothing beyond any other 802.11n wireless router.

Currently an O2 wireless box II struggles to provide a download speed of 1.1mbps when 'at the router' offers 11.5 Mbps
Do you mean it shows the link as 11.5Mbps (mega bits p/s) and you get 1.1 MegaBytes p/s actual download?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Oct-11 23:13:50
Print Post

Looks like you could find out fairly cheaply for yourself. It does seem to have sorted the dropping wireless issues I was having between my sons laptop and the old HH2.

Standard User mistral
(experienced) Tue 11-Oct-11 07:11:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by jud9e:

The magic is really simple. Use a cable. If you are like me you have too many neighbours with wireless access points and other things that also interfere with wifi. The simple answer is run a cable.

Or change the polarization of the antenna's can also help greatly smile
Try to picture that horizontal waves don't interfere so much with vertical waves when offset by 90 degrees smile

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Oct-11 09:46:14
Print Post

[re: mistral] [link to this post]

Or change the polarization of the antenna's can also help greatly
Try to picture that horizontal waves don't interfere so much with vertical waves when offset by 90 degrees
Tried it, but got a crick in my neck. Also the laptop kept falling over and using the keyboard was extremely difficult.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to