User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User melita
(learned) Tue 11-Oct-11 22:55:59
Print Post

BT Infinity without Home Hub Wi-Fi

[link to this post]

Looking at getting BT Infinity. Is the purpose of the Home Hub just to provide wi-fi or does it do anything else? I want to use powerline networking and switch off the wi-fi element (paranoid about security). Would I still need the HH as well as the BT modem?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Oct-11 23:22:03
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity without Home Hub Wi-Fi

[re: melita] [link to this post]

The Home Hub is the router and switch part of the system, as well as the wireless access point.

It is possible to connect a single computer by ethernet cale to the modem, so I see no reason why that ethernet from the modem shouldn't go into a powerline adapter with the computer connected to the matching one elsewhere. But if you want to connect more than one computer to powerline then you will have to use the Home Hub, so modem >> HH >> Powerline >> Multiple powerline adapters plus attached computers.

There is no problem in turning off the HH wireless.

Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 11-Oct-11 23:23:34)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Oct-11 09:07:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

just to provide balance how secure are powerline adapters? As for WiFi I really think if you use proper encryption then it as much as you can do, other than don`t use the internet! Powerline adapters however are good for when wifi does not reach areas of the household!

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Oct-11 09:16:09
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

Most offer encryption

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Oct-11 11:18:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

and the point for OP is they all have their own weakness!

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 12-Oct-11 16:23:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It is possible to connect a single computer by ethernet cale to the modem, so I see no reason why that ethernet from the modem shouldn't go into a powerline adapter with the computer connected to the matching one elsewhere.

I think it's a non-starter for most people, as the hub provdes the NAT, DHCP and DNS services.

No problem with turning off wireless if not wanted though.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Oct-11 18:00:41
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shtu:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It is possible to connect a single computer by ethernet cale to the modem, so I see no reason why that ethernet from the modem shouldn't go into a powerline adapter with the computer connected to the matching one elsewhere.

I think it's a non-starter for most people, as the hub provdes the NAT, DHCP and DNS services.

No problem with turning off wireless if not wanted though.
Plenty of people have done it.

With only a single computer NAS is not required, and setting the DNS servers on the computer is no big deal. Username and password for BT are well known. Are they even required in fact, other than to keep the HH, or more likely the alternative, happy?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 13-Oct-11 15:56:58
Print Post

Wasn't saying it can't be done, just meant that most folk would find the fiddling about (and the limitations of having one machine hardwired) to be a PITA.

Persoanlly, I think the OP is being overly paranoid. Turn off wireless if you must, but thre's really no major problem in using a router. For most people, I would have thought that the difficulties of keeping a PC (or whatever) patched and configured to be secure to be more trouble than putting in a router with a firewall, and letting it get on with 90% of the work for you.

It's almost a religious debate. smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Oct-11 16:16:12
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

I agree with you. I tried gently to suggest using the HH in my first post smile.

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Thu 13-Oct-11 17:49:34
Print Post

[re: melita] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by melita:
Looking at getting BT Infinity. Is the purpose of the Home Hub just to provide wi-fi or does it do anything else? I want to use powerline networking and switch off the wi-fi element (paranoid about security). Would I still need the HH as well as the BT modem?

Use the home hub, might swell. Then turn off the wifi if needed.

On the wifi, WEP can be cracked in under a minute (so do not use this)
Whereas WPA2 is very hard to crack and if you use a long passphrase with randomly generated characters it's virtually impossible to crack.

If you use a 64 digit code from here https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm it would take years to crack.

Powerline adaptors are arguably just as unsafe.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to