User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zurdo
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:15:22
Print Post

Price Increases

[link to this post]

Just had an email regarding price increases from Dec 3rd 2011. At the moment I have Option 1 and unlimited evening and weekend calls for £14 less £6 discount which equates to £8 a month. From December my discount will be reduced to £5.75 making the package now £8.25 a month. My question is, if I am on a contract with emails to show the prices I will pay can BT increase the price and/or are they breaking this contract?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:19:01
Print Post

Re: Price Increases

[re: Zurdo] [link to this post]

Read the conditions on the email, it should tell you that this is informing you of a price variation, and generally if you do nothing within 14 days of notification that is deemed acceptance.

So probably can go elsewhere. They might let you out of the phone side, but claim back on the broadband contract. Depends on how things were bundled originally.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zurdo
(regular) Tue 18-Oct-11 16:31:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. I have read the original contract email again and it does actually warn of price increases in Dec. I don't want to leave BT I just thought once you had agreed to a contract it was binding annd they could not increase prices on it. I'm obviously wrong..........dammit!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wwwebber
(committed) Wed 19-Oct-11 09:17:17
Print Post

So you're taking the trouble to go on the internet and ask a question because of just 25 pence ??
Standard User Zurdo
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-11 10:27:27
Print Post

[re: wwwebber] [link to this post]

I'm not bothered about the money. I just wanted to know the legalities of the BT contract. I'm still more than happy about the service. I get a good speed and hardly ever have a dropped connection.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Oct-11 12:46:56
Print Post

It's all perfectly above board and according to contract:
52. If we let you know about a change to the price or the terms and conditions of a service which is to your material disadvantage, you will not have to pay a charge if you decide to end that service early, unless the Tariff Guide says otherwise. However, once we have told you about such a change, using one of the methods detailed in paragraph 50, you must let us know within 10 days that you want to end that service by giving us the written notice set out in paragraph 21. Only the services that are directly affected by the changes we make can be ended without paying an early termination charge for that service and this agreement will continue to apply to any other services that are not affected by those changes.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Zurdo
(regular) Wed 19-Oct-11 16:14:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for that XRaySpeX. I'll just have to eat 1 less bag of crisps a month!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Oct-11 17:38:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Zurdo:
Thanks for that XRaySpeX. I'll just have to eat 1 less bag of crisps a month!
Ummm.

How long since you bought a bag of crisps?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Oct-11 08:18:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
How long since you bought a bag of crisps?

You really need to shop around RobertoS. Sainsburys currently doing 18 packs of walkers classic crisps for £2.20 - you could have 2 packs of them for the 25p a month...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Oct-11 20:59:46
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Only once every 9 months, and circumstances can change a lot in 9 months.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to