User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Fellwalker
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 22:06:18
Print Post

Infinity and Traffic Shaping

[link to this post]

The earlier post titled as this one has been closed because it was hijacked into an argument that was irrelevant to the original question.

I was called by BT tonight, and was astounded to find thier new traffic managemetn policy very clearly explained on their web site. Broadband usage policy

Wow. This says the only type of traffic that is slowed down, and only at peak times, is P2P. Great - from what I read most of that is illegal file sharing anyway.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Oct-11 22:12:34
Print Post

Re: Infinity and Traffic Shaping

[re: Fellwalker] [link to this post]

Yep.

Doubt it'll be long before Zadeks appears. He seems quite fond of saying all sorts are blocked/slowed down on BT despite numerous sources of evidence to the contrary.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Standard User Fellwalker
(newbie) Thu 20-Oct-11 22:25:51
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

I can understand Zadeks concerns. I was with BT and left becasue the usable internet was slowed from 7 to under 1 every evening from 19:30 to 23:30. So I went to Be and have had a steady 7 meg since then. Sadly Be are not going FTTC until some time in 2012 (probably). Two of my friends nearby have no traffic management on their Infiinity connections.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TheMarf
(learned) Fri 21-Oct-11 10:00:39
Print Post

Their traffic shaping is also intelligent it seems.

If you download the Ubuntu operating system(which is free) using a torrent during peak times, it is not throttled.

This indicates to me that they have a whitelist which allows legitimate software to be downloaded at any time.

Edited by TheMarf (Fri 21-Oct-11 10:03:17)

Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Oct-11 11:03:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Fellwalker:
I can understand Zadeks concerns. I was with BT and left becasue the usable internet was slowed from 7 to under 1 every evening from 19:30 to 23:30. So I went to Be and have had a steady 7 meg since then. Sadly Be are not going FTTC until some time in 2012 (probably). Two of my friends nearby have no traffic management on their Infiinity connections.

all I can say right now is the BT FTTC service I receive just now is pretty good, did a speed test the other night and speed was within my sync range. Been with alot of ISPs over the years and never wanted to give BT a chance with all the rumour that was abound on here with the throttling. However can't complain smile and speeds miles better than I had with Be laugh

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-11 11:37:06
Print Post

[re: MrGrumpy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrGrumpy:
all I can say right now is the BT FTTC service I receive just now is pretty good, did a speed test the other night and speed was within my sync range. Been with alot of ISPs over the years and never wanted to give BT a chance with all the rumour that was abound on here with the throttling. However can't complain smile and speeds miles better than I had with Be laugh

Same here, I have about 3x the download that I had on Be*

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Far too many computers, 1 Wife, 3 Maine Coons and too many horses smile
Standard User Fellwalker
(newbie) Fri 21-Oct-11 13:32:01
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Well, it looks as if I will be jumping ship from Be.
Standard User mistral
(experienced) Sat 22-Oct-11 14:44:30
Print Post

Of course they slow it down otherwise their service would turn into a complete mess. The bandwidth is sold at a contention. Just like ever other ISP in the UK unless you order a leased line

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Oct-11 16:24:44
Print Post

[re: mistral] [link to this post]

Lets put this nonsense to rest once and for all shall we.

As you can see from the pic it's 4.20pm on a saturday. The torrent is running at full speed.

If 3.1MB/sec is BT's idea of "slowing it down" or your idea of a "complete mess" of a service then that's just fine by me.

http://i.imgur.com/SxnG4.jpg

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up

Edited by orly (Sat 22-Oct-11 16:24:57)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Oct-11 16:28:43
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

That's about 24Mbps?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to