User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JustAlan
(regular) Mon 24-Oct-11 07:41:58
Print Post

Stuck on Fixed 2 Mbps

[link to this post]

In the last month I have seen two clients who, unbeknownst to them, are stuck on a fixed 2 Mbps service although the low line attenuation and very high SNRs indicate the line should go much faster on the normal variable-rate ("Up to 8 Meg") service. In both cases the clients had been with BT Broadband for many years and it looks to me as if they had just been accidentally missed out from being upgraded to the variable rate service, although they were paying the standard rate for their broadband. This situation floors BT Broadband Tech. Support because there seems to be nothing in their script to deal with this situation. So it's a huge struggle to get anything done about this issue. Can anyone offer any insight about what physically needs to be done? Is a new "line card" required at the telephone exchange? Is there a way to get rapidly through to a higher level in the BT tech. support organization?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 24-Oct-11 09:26:12
Print Post

Re: Stuck on Fixed 2 Mbps

[re: JustAlan] [link to this post]

If syncing at 2272 and 288, then probably a fixed rate product. People have been able to refuse upgrades, so it may be they've stayed on their existing contract.

Rather than raise this as a fault, have they tried the simple, 'can I upgrade from my 2Meg to an up to 8Meg product' line?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 24-Oct-11 10:09:22
Print Post

Re: Stuck on Fixed 2 Mbps

[re: JustAlan] [link to this post]

As Mr S says - they need to ask for an upgrade, but call sales and not Tech Support. Sales willl sort it in a few minutes - but you may need to go back and install the new modem/router.

They are not the only ones out there - there will be some on every exchange either because they refuse the upgrade when offered or have not requested it or responded to emails. Some are still use the old green stingray modem!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to