User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Oct-11 22:18:22
Print Post

BT Charge for new NTE5 !!

[link to this post]

A friend just told me this evening that a couple of months lightning struck his overhead BT line and damaged the bottom removable half of the NTE5. BT came out and fitted a complete new NTE5.

However, he has now been told that the bottom half of the NTE5 is his responsibility and therefore he has been charged just over £200 (he will check his bill again and confirm to me).

Just to rub salt into his wound, earlier today his phone went dead, he removed the bottom half and plugged his filter with phone and router into the 'test' socket and both working, so his new bottom half is a dud.

What do you think about his being charged? I always thought that the complete NTE5 was BT's.

He only has one phone, plugged into a filter with his router. No other internal wiring or extensions, bells, Redcare or Sky.

I think he has been done...

Cheers!

Clive

"As I hurtled through space towards re-entry at twice the speed of sound the only thought in my mind was that this craft was entirely built by the lowest bidder! John Glen, Astronaut

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Oct-11 22:39:02
Print Post

Re: BT Charge for new NTE5 !!

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

BT responsibility stops at the test socket...

If it was lightning damage then not sure where they stand with regards to getting charged. It is not unusual for cost codes to be reaised incorrectly. Time for them to appeal the charge, particularly as it seems a component has already failed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 01:16:08
Print Post

BT Engineer call-out charge. So he shouldn't have been charged more than £130 all told.

~~~~~
Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User m0aur
(committed) Wed 26-Oct-11 08:15:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

£5 off Ebay and just two wires to A & B, simpler than a 13A plug. Yes, I know it's against the rules, but I wont be screwed.

Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-11 08:22:14
Print Post

I think they should argue that what BT should have done was just replace the back part of the socket (which is their responsibility) and give the customer the choice of either being provided with a new bottom half for £200 or sourcing their own.

If they weren't informed of the charges for the additional work above BT's responsibility then they should not be charged for it.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 26-Oct-11 09:23:36
Print Post

What was damaged in the bottom half?

If it was a lightening strike I would have expected the component in the master being damaged first especially the surge arrestor. Certainly if damage has occurred further down then that should have been replaced too.

As for the charge - can he claim on insurance if BT will not waive it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Oct-11 09:25:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

While the arrestor in the master can help, it is unlikely to help with a direct strike to overhead wiring

Remember any gap created by a component fail is small compared to distance the bolt just travelled

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 26-Oct-11 09:43:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I know, the point being that the gap is likely to have been ruined by the strike and thus need replacement anyway so the technician should have replaced the master at no cost and as they come with new lower halves, left that attached at no cost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Oct-11 09:56:11
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

I agree with the above, any work that needs to be done on the line apart from the E-side/D-side I do my self.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 11.4
Line Length 300meters
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Oct-11 13:42:57
Print Post

Unless things have changed in the past 2 years since I retired, lightning damage to any part of the NTE5 IS chargeable.

I used to hate to charge, & if could avoid it, I would.

I know it's not fair, but that's life.

plusnet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to