User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 13:02:37
Print Post

How long before I get higher speed - FTTC connection?

[link to this post]

OK,

Taken the plunge. BT Infinity installed on 16th Nov. Doing speed tests I find I get downloads around 6 megs and uploads around 7.5 megs. The uploads are pretty consistent on most tests (using Global Broadband, BT tester LITE and ThinkBB).

Now and then I will see a download around 11 megs, and again, when like this, all test sites show much the same. But, most of the time I am seeing downloads SLOWER than my uploads.

How long do I have to wait before I see my speeds increase? Using the BT speedtester site, I see the IP profile is set to 38170 .

My daughter moved on Monday, and is seeing speeds now around 33megs.
(28 on wireless-N dongle, and 33 on ethernet).

The loss from home to cab is around 9db from the last OR tests.

HH3 and the new fibre modem (not the old ones which they have been having lots of problems with here)

Is there the same DLM type thing going on again here?

Cheers,

Rob

PS any BT care who knows about the FTTC stuff is welcome to chime in.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Nov-11 13:04:54
Print Post

Re: How long before I get higher speed - FTTC connection?

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Not DLM is the IP profile is high then throughput at that speed should be possible.

Are you testing using Ethernet (wireless can be a bottleneck, as even N networks are affected by walls etc), also check that the PC is configured for faster speeds, i.e. www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks If using Windows 7 this should not be an issue, but your MTU may still need playing with.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 13:29:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks,

I am Win7, so would I need to tweak anything?

I'll see what an ethernet connection shows ...

Later ...

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 14:02:14
Print Post

OK,

Laptop and ethernet now shows 37 megs ... !!!

Compared to 135k on ADSL from BT and 3.5megs via O2 LLU, quite a good result eh?

I guess I will have to route some cable to my office machine ... Getting about 12-13 megs via wireless (but it is a b/g card not "n").

Would getting an "n" card help? Given "g" is 54 megs anyway?

Cheers,

Rob

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User geordiekris
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-11 19:03:42
Print Post

not really as the hh3 is not a pure "n" device if it ddetects any other device i.e. b/g it slows down to that level

i can say whatever i want as i no longer work for the [censored]!
Standard User melita
(learned) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:32:57
Print Post

Due to get BT Infinity next Tuesday. I was told that it takes around 10 days for the connection speed to settle down at its optimum.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:44:40
Print Post

[re: melita] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by melita:
Due to get BT Infinity next Tuesday. I was told that it takes around 10 days for the connection speed to settle down at its optimum.
That's rot. The script-monkeys haven't been told this isn't ADSL2+, and even then it wasn't true. The Openreach documentation about it doesn't mention it. See this post and the rest of teh thread after it smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Fri 18-Nov-11 23:27:14
Print Post

[re: geordiekris] [link to this post]

So, are you saying that if I have ANY computer with a b/g card, then HH3 will slow to that rate, and the "n" based PC's will see a b/g throughput?

Sort of makes sense ...

So, should I get some powerline ethernet adaptors?

I see folk say you need to 200mbps rather than the 85's ...

Mind you, laying some cat5 will be cheaper, but I'm not sure that it'll be quite so easy or tidy enough - don't want nasty trunking down the walls etc ...

Cheers,

Rob.

Seeing up to 18 megs on the b/g wireless machines ... still 37.5 on ethernet though. so ethernet of some ilk is tempting.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Nov-11 23:27:42
Print Post

Maximum for G is 54/2 i.e. the 54 is either direction added together, in testing 15Meg is about the best from G.

Putting N device is the only one on the network may help, but a cable does help, and avoids annoying wireless drop outs. i.e. a pain for a morning installing neatly but beauty after that

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Nov-11 23:35:13
Print Post

200 / 2 max of 100Mbps download and thats if within a foot of each other, i.e. speed gets worse over distance.

The 200AV will probably manage 30+, 100m of Ethernet of reasonable quality is certain to manage 100Mbps.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to